Help On Studio Monitors

thabeatnut

Can someone please help me decide whats a good monitor within a $200 price tag???? I was thinking of going with the Alesis MK2 Monitors, or the KRK Rokit Powered 5 or Generation 2 Powered Studio Monitor or a 6....Does anyone have a good recommendation??? Im willing to go for a $250 budget...but thats max...Im only novice, and still just getting my wings at recording professionally at my home studio....Please let me know...Than

Last edited:
Is that per monitor or TOTAL?

My Studiophile BX8's are alright. I got them used $300 for the pair. But they're completely different monitors depending on IF they're receiving a signal from my Delta 44 (The EQ is a little whacked from this source, everything is sort of muddy), or if they're receiving a signal from my Korg MR-1000 (They almost sound like the pro-ish gear it's supposed to be). But to be fair, my Delta 44 sounds sweet when piped to my 150W stereo with 4' magnapans.

What are you going to be using the monitors for? Mixing? Checking for wind noise / mic issues? Or just as conventional speakers. With sub woofer? I got the BX8's because the 8" speakers have a better low end. I really only use them to check the abilities of my DIY windscreens. They draw too much power to leave on 24/7. The KRK's are well liked. And I believe the 5 has a 6"-ish speaker, which shouldn't be too shabby on the low end without a sub. I tend to stick with popular items, that way I can sell them when the time comes to upgrade. Other than that I really can't contribute much on monitors, I only own two and rarely use them.

HTH

Just for everyday recording....I see that GC and Sam Ash have alot of KRK 5's in displays and was wondering about getting those, they are only like $149 a pop...But I heard the Alesis M1 Mk2's were pretty good, have u ever heard of the Yamaha NS-635A monitors? Or how about the Event 20/20's are those any good?

Treat your room with LOTS of bass traps (ex: at least 18 -but more it´s better- 4" rockwool bass traps for,let´s say, a small 12x 10 room) and you´ll be VERY happy with the results...!!!:
That´s the (only) way
cool::D

Ciro

You can learn to mix on almost any speakers. You just need to get used to them. Room treatment and proper placement is important, too. Learn to mix around your room and your monitors and you'll be ok.

Ive heard good things about KRK...one thing Id be wary of when you have a 5 in woofer is whether they sell a sub or not...they might not be designed to work without one.

Ive heard good things about KRK...one thing Id be wary of when you have a 5 in woofer is whether they sell a sub or not...they might not be designed to work without one.

THe KRK's pair up nice with the a 10" sub...such as the one KRK offers.

I have a pair of the little 5's, and I flat out love them. I've mixed on a wide variety of monitors over the years. The KRK Rokit 5's replaced a very tired pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5's that I really loved and had used for several years. The KRK's have as good or better bass response than the Tannoy's. About the only knock I have on the KRK's is that they seem to have a very narrow sweet spot in my studio..noticeably narrower than the Tannoy's.

As Supercreep stated, pick a pair you can afford and learn to mix on them...learn what translates and what doesn't....it really varies from room to room so what I tell you I hear is not necessarily what you will hear.

I did spend a couple of hours listening critically to the KRK's before I bought them and was able to compare them to a very wide range of similar priced monitors. They won hands down.:cool:

ironic how one could go to a store and compare monitors...pick out a pair that they like the sound of best...while the ones that sound the worst are the most useful tools.

Back