Help on mix please!

raindrops

this is a local band i did i recording of.

the band as a whole have a definate raw edge which should come across in the sound.

im going to rerecord the band at a later date when they have a better drummer [is obvious why from this] so anything i should do differently would be good to know.

im reasonably happy with how this sounds but its not quite there and i dont really know what to do to improve on it.

the noise at the begining over the guitar can be ignored. that will be gone!

i like the guitar sound generally but not too happy with the drums. there is 4 tracks of drums, stereo overhead, bass and snare (and maybe a hihat, i cant recall).

the recording was done all together, except for vocals, in the same room.

:: mics ::

2x akg c1000s for the overheads.
cad ndm 10/11 for the snare and bass drum
cad ndm 11 [?] on guitar one. the first one that comes in.
shure sm57 guitar 2. cleaner one.
direct out from bass amp.
singers roland mic for vocals.

i have a rode nt1 available also if needed.

ooo i even have a photo here. this does not show the final positioning. and the mics on the floor tom and hi tom were later removed.

and would reflections off that back wall be affecting the sound in a bad way?

thanks for any feedback!

raindrops.

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 26
Very doorish/cooperish/70'ish

The guitar in the left channel is quite.. flabby, low frequency ridden. I think it could work, because it does add an interesting characteristic, and fits in with the overall vibe. You need to tame it a bit. I'd replace it with a smoother sounding guitar, and use that as a special effect in other parts, maybe the bridge - only eq'd to remove that muddy/flabby/fuzzy (jackknife slit in the cone) clipping sound that it has.

The vocals clip a bit here and there, that's not a big deal - it could work, but it would of been better to avoid it.

The singer is pretty good, his pitch is decent, just the odd melody's he goes off on, or could of gone off on better directions in.

---

So, I'd say the guitar in the left channel is causing a lot of the problems. It's too loud and has just too abrasive a sound, at the chosen volume in this mix.

The drums. Hard to hear them, changing that guitar will help them out, whether reducing the volume on them, eq or probably both. I can't hear the kick very well. Overall the kick and snare could be louder, and the overheads dropped a bit.

The bass will get much better once you fix the guitar sound and it's balance with the drums. I think the bass will work though.

---

The drummer really ain't that bad, really - he dropped a few beats during the first jazzy part. Most of timing problems I hear are being created by the guitar parts. They sound, like he/she is unsure, hesitant - Mainly during the verse parts, the jazzy/spaze parts are great. The bass player has got it together!

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on, just listened to it in a loop and kept typing. It's a groovy tune.

thanks alot for your time.

ill not be doing much on for a little bit. coursework needs doing.. ah what am i on about that IS coursework! ah well ya know.

but yeah ill work with it a bit and update it as i go....

biggest problem im having is my monitoring setup. how about creative soundworks 4 point surround computer speakers!! i have access to some spirit absolute zeros to check my mix on at times also. i think i might try and borrow them for a weekend.

aaaaanyway im rambling here.

ta.xx.

Back