Help on choosing mic pair (C4, m179, mc012)

bvp663

Hey everyone! With my newfound christmas/birthday funds I've been looking to update my mic arsenal with a good mic pair. Primary use would be for acoustic guitar and something to get a good drum sound from using just overheads. I'm leaning towards the Studio Projects C4 right now, but the CAD m179 and OKtava mc012 have also come into consideration.
And help or recommendations would be appreciated.

I think at present I'd call Guitar Center and see what the best deal is that they'd give you on pair of the Groove Tubes GT33. They had a sale back in November where they were going for $99 each. Sometimes, if you get the right salesman, then he might be able to cut you a similar deal. It might be $125 per mic but that's still an incredible price.

Otherwise, my feelings are that the C4 and CAD mic excel as drum overheads while the Oktava is more general utility.

Interesting- Ozraves and I have opposite opinions in this case. I think the Oktavas excell as drum overheads, but the C-4's are far more versatile to my ears. I consider them more accurate and lesss colored than the Oktavas, making them better for acoustic and general stereo recording. I did an 88 piece orchestra with the C-4's, and they rocked. The C-4's have other advantages- bass cut, built in pads, a good case, omni capsules, shock mounts, and a good case included, as well as customer service and better quality control. I admit they are brighter than the Oktavas, but so are my Neumann KM184's. Please note, however, that with a set of C-4's and the Neumanns in the cabinet, I keep the Oktavas around anyway. I like them for rock/blues overheads, and even some vocalists, but they are way down on my list for acoustic guitar. YMMV.-Richie

Back