Help on a mix

reganito

There isnt much high end content about 8 or 9k in the source material. I'm looking for suggestions on how to achieve a little sheen.

Last edited:
The drums are way too reverby for me. Not sure if its the hi hat (maybe the rattling snares) but that's all the high end that sticks out without any real tone to it. The piano part starting around 3:18 sounds EQed funny, but it could be a combination of the synth-'ooh/ahh' sound happening at the same time.

It's the hi hat you're hearing. I made it a little louder because it drives the beat. I sent a little of the same reverb to all the busses because I wanted it to sound like it's all in the same space. Perhaps I over did it on the drums. The piano eq is the same through the song. Maybe it sounds weird solo'd like that. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Agree with mjb on the whole kit and specifically on the hats.

Overall, the mix sounds pretty good to me otherwise. Nicely balanced, and recorded/EQ'd pleasantly. I like the vocals. They have an ever so slightly out of tune here and there kind of thing going on, which I actually really like given the vibe of the song. In a couple places, they go out too much though and those spots could be punched in. The music is very straight forward (but has a great melancholy, drab vibe - until the uplifting section comes in half way), so the vocals are everything. Overall, the vocals are quite good, so I would even consider just melodyning a fix here and there, as long as it sounds natural. Don't mess with the core of it, just fix a couple spots. The switch from melancholy to a little more uplifting is pretty effective here. It helps to move the song from "expressing a musical idea" to "telling a story". Nice.

I don't detect a sense of missing sheen, personally.

Good job!

Thank you very much for the kind words on the song. I think maybe I will ditch the reverb from the drum bus and tone the hi hat down. About the vocals, I did use some Melodyne but there's one note in particular I could not fix. I think I'll take your advice and punch in a few parts. I'm really out of practice singing. This is the first real song I've written in a while. I really appreciate all your help, guys. I'll nail this mixing thing someday. On the sheen thing, my room really sucks. I have no treatment and mix on monitors at a low volume, but use headphones a lot, too. It sounds fine in my car as far as the lows and highs.

the production is really good, I particularly like the mellow sound, there's no harshness in the mix, very warm rounded sound, it almost sounds like tape... personally I wouldn't add any high end, leave it how it is. It sounds very well balanced on my monitors.

Cool track! Love the sound of your voice on this. Very expressive.

I think the drum reverb is either excessive, or the wrong reverb choice for this? Something less slushy while more open or spacious could work in an equally strong amount for this? Not sure..I really like the piano and slide stuff...panning is good, and the song itself has a tremendous melancholy feel. I dig that.

Whoa...just got to the more upbeat section...that was a surprise, but it fit perfectly. I would've liked a slightly less cutting, hard rock lead tone there, but that's subjective. Really nice playing! You drop it back suddenly as the vocal comes back in, but I think you went too far? I can hear it way in the background beneath the singing, but it's so low, it's almost like incidental and distracting...I would either bring it up some so it can be heard without interfering, or leave it out altogether when the vocal comes in.

I think the fade out could've ended just a touch sooner so we don't catch the full stop?

Nice work! :)

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions.
Btyre2013 I think the warmness is on account of the softube plugin. Just having it in the chain with the saturation on zero warms the sound.

Heatmiser I'm definitely going to try something different with the drums. The quiet lead part under the singing is me just learning how to use automation. I tried cutting it, but it didn't sound right. I think I'll boost it a bit.

You all are very helpful. Thank you very much.

Back