• Rode NTK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rode K2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stick with SM7B

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

MartelHamilton

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new mic to record hip-hop/rap vocals. I currently have a Shure SM7B, but it sounds really flat and boring on my voice. I'm looking for a mic which is alot more warm and has got a nice mid range. I'm only 14 so my mum will be contributing some money towards the cost of the mic, so my budgets around £450, I may be able to stretch to £500. Or will I need more for a good mic? I have used the search, but it seems that everyone reccomends the SM7B, which I don't like. The mics I've been looking at are the Neumann TLM102, Rode NTK, Rode K2, AT4040, AT4033a. I have a quite deep voice (abit like Drake's tone, but I don't sound like him) so could you reccomend me a mic from that list, or reccomend another one if you think there's something that would suit me better. I currently have my mic running into the M-Audio Firewire Solo which is going onto Pro Tools M-Powered, but I'm looking to buy a Studio Projects VTB1 Preamp to go with it. I know it's not the best Preamp ever, but I don't currently have the money to purchase an Avalon 737 or a Neve preamp. Obviously I don't have to spend £450 so if you know something better for cheaper then tell me, the less spent the more I have to put towards better equipment :) Thank You!

What are you useing as a preamp now Martel? That could very well be your problem with the S7b.

May I suggest the EV RE20 for a good microphone. ;)

I had a Studio Projects VTB1, but it stopped working recently. I'd prefer to stay away from dynamic mics as I've tried a few on my voice and they seem to all sound quite flat with no warmness or anything :)

That SM7b needs tons of attenuation you need more than the 45dB of gain that the Studio Projects VTB1 provides to make that SM7b shine!!

I'm looking for a mic which is alot more warm and has got a nice mid range.

I'd have recommended an sm7b for this.

+1 for the preamp being the issue.

It's hard to believe, but honestly, try to hear that sm7b through another pre if you have the chance. You won't believe the difference.

Yeah, I definately agree that the preamp is probably the main problem, however, I'm only 14 so trying to muster enough money to pay for a preamp to power the SM7B is hard since I can't get a job that pays decent money. Do you know anything about the mics I listed? Thank you :)

TLM102, Rode NTK, Rode K2, AT4040, AT4033a? Yeah but your in the UK right? Not sure about your prices for these over there. Maybe Steenamaroo will stop by and give you better advice being he is from there.

Those are all great mics, and I hear what you're saying, but i was taking a look there.

You could get a nice pre way cheaper, and sure if it doesn't work, sell it on and take the hit for a tennar. ;)

Your interface's mic pre generally doesn't get a good rep and 40db gain isn't a lot to go around.

I reckon you'd outgrow it very quickly no matter what mic you have, so.

It seems the maudio dpm3 gets a great rep for giving a lot of clean gain (66db) at a pretty reasonable price (£125 at a glance).
Your interface has line ins, so you'd just plug the dmp3 straight in and give your sm7b a new lease of life.

Can anyone give a first hand opinion on that mic and pre combo?

I've been pointed in the direction of the Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro

I've been told to hook it up with a Rode NTK or TLM102, which one do you guys think?

i think it's one or the other with a £500 budget.

I used a voicemaster pro with an sm7b for voiceover work once. I worked fine, I liked the outcome.

Looks like I can pick one up for about £100, so I might just be able to squeeze in one of the mics. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if you get one for that, but fair play if you do.

Either way, I'd recommend getting the preamp first and at least trying the sm7b properly.
It totally sounds like you've written one of the most respected microphones in existance after hearing it through one of the dirtiest cheapest preamps on the market.

Sure, I'll give it a try. I won't have the money to go straight out and boy a mic with it anyway and if I like the sound, I'll definately continue to use it. What audio interfaces do you recommend using with it?

I guess you'd be ok using it with the line ins on your current interface.

Again, see how you go with the new preamp and then decide if you need to upgrade.
It might work out just fine and save you some dollas!

I've just noticed, the trackmaster pro has Spdif output, and the maudio has spdif input.

If you use this you are completely 100% bypassing the analog circuitry in the maudio which is a great thing).

Go with this Mic>XLR>Trackmaster>spdif>Maudio>computer.

You'll be happy ;)

Back