HELP! No sound at all!

Kaze

Alright i have a Yamaha MOTIF 6 and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and no matter what i do i cannot get this to work. Here is what i have done so far...

Triple checked my ins and outs on the midi connections

Turned my local setting to "off" on the MOTIF

Set the Input and Output devices on the program to the Audiophile

In "Track Properties" the Source is set to none, the Port is set to the Audiophile and the channel is at 1

I also assigned instruments... "Port/Channel" is set to 1 and "Uses Instrument" is set to <default>

I dont know what else to do. This is all i have hooked up and its hooked directley to my soundcard... Please help! Thank you!

What version of Cakewalk are you using?

Have you tried to just enter a few notes using the Piano Roll to see if you can get those to sound? It might help to do that before putting external devices into the mix.

I was originally thinking that your Echo settings (under Options - Project - MIDI Input) were set to not echo, but if you can't hear them on straight playback either, then I'm not sure what's up.

Make sure that your MIDI synth is not muted in your sound card's control panel... ?? Reboot... ?? Chant in ancient tongues... ?? :D Sorry - wish I could be of more help.

Let us know more details on what your set up is and maybe someone can help more.

Good luck
-Jeff

How do you have the audio connections set up? That is, how are you listening to the Motif?

Do you have an instrument definiton for the Motif, or are you just using the General MIDI assignments?

What OS are you running on your PC?

I don't know if CW9 has this, but Sonar has a midi activity icon bottom right hand corner which has two flashing lights when any key is avtivated on your midi controller.

Kaze said:
Alright i have a Yamaha MOTIF 6 and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and no matter what i do i cannot get this to work. Here is what i have done so far...

Triple checked my ins and outs on the midi connections

Set the Input and Output devices on the program to the Audiophile

In "Track Properties" the Source is set to none, the Port is set to the Audiophile and the channel is at 1

I also assigned instruments... "Port/Channel" is set to 1 and "Uses Instrument" is set to <default>

I dont know what else to do. This is all i have hooked up and its hooked directley to my soundcard... Please help! Thank you!

Kaze,

Firstly, what are you trying to record? If it is only MIDI data, ie not and actual audio (wav file), you will need to set the output on the MOTIF to say Channel 1 and in Cakewalk make sure you are recording the data coming from Channel 1 through the Audiophile's MIDI IN. To play this back, after you have recorded it, you can send it to the Audiophile's MIDI Out (which is connect to the MOTIF's Midi In) and you will be able to hear it playing on the MOTIF.

To actually record Audio Data (ie a wav file), you will need to connect the 1/4 L & R jacks to the Audiophile using something like this. In Cakewalk you will need to create a stereo audio track then set you source to the Audiophilie's Stereo In's, which will record the output of the MOTIF.

Hope this get's you started,

Porter

Well i want to record the motif's sounds in the patterns i play them in onto CW9. I was told that the cords you showed me would let me do that. BUT I also want to edit the tunes.. I aint perfect with the keys lol. I was also told that those cords wont allow that. So is there any way i can get my motif's sounds on Cakewalk in the patterns i play them on the keyboard (i dont uant to use my motif seq either) But still be able to edit them if i mess up on a note? And yes i am a newbie lol.

If you haven't figured this out yet (sometimes it's confusing), the MIDI out on the Audiophile is connected to the Motifs MIDI In, and Audiophiles MIDI in is connected to Motifs MIDI out.

Now, In PA9, make shure the Audiophiles MIDI ins and outs are enabled, check here: Options -> MIDI Devices.

If you press a key on the motif, the red lights in the Cakewalk Icon next to your clock should light up.

Take a track in the Trackview and set Input To "MIDI Omni" and Output to Channel 1. Arm and record.

This way you record MIDI Data which easily can be edited later.

Alright here is EVREYTHING i have done start to finish.

Installed Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Installed soundcard

Installed drivers off CD

Hooked up my MOTIF

Triple checked my ins and outs on the midi connections (midi out on synth midi in on card)

Went to Options>MIDI Devices and in the "MIDI Ports" window i set the Input and Output devices on the program to the Audiophile

Also Options>Instruments in the "Assigned Instruments" window "Port/Channel" is set to 1 and "Uses Instrument" is set to <default>

Options>Audio in the "DirectShow Audio" Window in the general tab, the "Playback Timing Master" Is set to "1: M Audio Delta AP Multichannel" and for "Record Timing Master" its set to the same. Is this set right? In the same window but under the drivers tab all the input and output drivers are highlighted in blue.

I went to Source>MIDI and in the "Track Properties" window the Source is set to none, the Port is set to the Audiophile and the channel is at 1

Thats what i have done.... My Operating System is Windows 2000 Pro. And all i want to do is play tunes on my MOTIF and get the tunes on Cakewalk 9 with the same sound that is selected on the MOTIF. I also want to be able to edit the tunes once they are on CW9 incase i hit a note too fast or slow. Hopefully this will help evreyone get a better idea of whats been done so far and what i'm trying to do. Thank you for all your help so far! Keep it comming! :)

Kaze said:
I went to Source>MIDI and in the "Track Properties" window the Source is set to none, the Port is set to the Audiophile and the channel is at 1
Why is Source set to "none"?

And once again, please check the little keyboard next to your clock. Do PA9 recieve any MIDI-data?

Kaze said:

You don't have to manually turning off the Local setting on the MOTIF ;). If you make a propher MIDI connection, Cakewalk will turn it off by the time you start it. One more task for you to do (...:D ) . Close Cakewalk, turn on your MOTIF, make sure local set to ON. Start Cakewalk. You should then see Cakewalk "Turning off" the local setting of MOTIF. If it doesn't, then I suspect there's something wrong with the connection.

;)
Jaymz

moskus,

If the MIDI source is set to None, it defaults to Omni, so that should be OK.

kaze,

In your list you do not indicate any audio connections out of the soundcard. Nor did you mention where the sound from the Motif was coming from, unless that's what you meant by "hooked up my MOTIF."

Also from your statement "and all i want to do is play tunes on my MOTIF and get the tunes on Cakewalk 9 with the same sound that is selected on the MOTIF," it sounds suspiciously to me like you think there is audio data passing through MIDI cables. This, in combination with some of my other comments, might explain why you are hearing nothing.

AlChuck is right. And in you are still MIDI headache, lets make it easier on you now, Kaze :).

So you want to record MIDI data, from MOTIF into some MIDI track in Cakewalk, and do editing while necessary, and play it back with the same sound, right ?

First, What mode in MOTIF are you ?
What's your MOTIF's global MIDI channel ?
If you select bank & patch in Cakewalk, does it change the sound in MOTIF ? If it doesn't, then there's gotta be a MIDI filter issue with MOTIF (global channel, MIDI filter, etc...)
If so, then try select the MOTIF's bank & patch you wanted from Cakewalk. Play the pattern with MOTIF and record in Cakewalk. If you want to change the sound latter, then in Cakewalk use bank / patch select to change MOTIF's patch. It should work just fine. Get us more detail, and may be we can help you out.

;)
Jaymz

@moskus
The meter is not showing any adtivity.

@James
The local setting does not change

@AlChuck
Yeah its what i had hoped would work out but its not that simple i soon found out lol

@James
No specific mode i am in... There is Voice mode, Preformance mode, and Master mode which automaticley selects preformance also when selected. There are different sounds in the modes and i want to be able to use sounds out of all modes.

I think channel 1.... The defalt one? I havent played with that.

How would i do that? (my manual is probably in a box in storage... Havent seen it since i moved or else i'd look sorry)

Thanks!

I'm also getting notice now whenever i start up cakewalk 9 it says: The following driver(s) do not support the current sampleing rate and/or bit depth. Press OK to disable them or Cancel to use them anyway.

M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
M Audio Delta AP 1/2
M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF
M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
M Audio Delta AP 1/2
M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF
M Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer

What did i do? Its set at 24 bit 48khz.

That means excatly what the error message told you, which is kind of strange if you haven't done anything. You might want to try to set the bitrate to 16 bit and samplingrate to 44.1 kHz.

It's beginning to sound more and more like the card isn't properly installed or something like that. Could other programs access the card, play sounds through it?

And what meter? I was talking about the icon found here (marked with a red, crappy circle):

Attachments

• sonar-midiinput.jpg
    sonar-midiinput.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 83
moskus said:
That means excatly what the error message told you, which is kind of strange if you haven't done anything. You might want to try to set the bitrate to 16 bit and samplingrate to 44.1 kHz.

It's beginning to sound more and more like the card isn't properly installed or something like that. Could other programs access the card, play sounds through it?

And what meter? I was talking about the icon found here (marked with a red, crappy circle):

Yeah that icon showed no activity. I can listen to music and lal that on the card.. It plays audio from Battlefield 1942 (game i play its pretty fun lol) just fine too.

Is this part of the problem?
I was told not to get a motherboard with onboard sound cause even with the onboard sound turned off in the computer BIOS, it could conflict with my PCI card. Now i didnt really trust that cause i was assured that wouldent be a problem by a way more computer educated person. Its real hard to find a motherboard without onboard sound theese days anyways. The motherboard i have is a MSI KT4V. Does anyone think this could be part of the problem?

Okay then...

And your motherboard sounds fine. But I've never had a problem with turning the onboard soundcard off in BIOS... :)

I have been thinking on reinstalling my os... This makes me want to now.. so i'm going to redo evreything later tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it all goes..

Back