help no highs

jal

im having alot of problem with my control room. i know what it is, i just wanted to know the least expensive way of fixing it.

the problem:
when i record and mix, everything sounds great, but when i listen to the cd anywhere else its lacking the "air" in the mix (or the highs) actually its pretty dull, and boy does that bum me out.

what i have:
9'x15'- thats 9ft from front to back and 15ft front from side to side. i have a slooping ceiling the highest part of the ceiling is 7ft and thats in the front, the lowest part is 6ft and thats in the back. the ceiling and the walls are regular 2x4 wall frames but r all double drywalled. the monitors im using r, KRK K-rocs and their sitting right in front of my c-room window. one is more in front of the wall than the other. i dont really have any other place to put them.

what would be the cheapest wat to fix this problem. i know i have to deaden it but i didnt want to spend any more than i had to. meaning, putting foam or carpet on all of the walls and the ceiling, when really all i had to do was put it on the back wall, know what im saying?

well thanx in advance,
jal
http://www.krksys.com/

I learned the hard way that treating only the back wall/ceiling is not necessarily the right answer. If you were to picture a large cone coming out of each of your monitors, from there you can see that reflections of the sound will hit the side walls, ceiling, and flooring surfaces.

I've also learned the hard way that covering the entire surface of the walls & ceilings is not necessarily the right answer either. For my new studio, I will be spacing the auralex products I will be purchasing, as to leave a little of the wall(s) and ceiling exposed between panels. Aside from the lenrd bass traps, I will be placing 3" wedge studiofoam along the walls and ceilings (front, back, both sides) in 2'x2' squares, with 4-6" (undecided at this point) space between the panels, top and bottom, left and right, to allow a little "live" feel to my control room. Mixing in a totally dead room can give one a headache after a while, myself included.

Sloping ceilings are a pain in the butt - but I have on and will be dealing with this very issue also. My control room is 13.5x18' with my facing the longer dimension, sitting (and facing) the front wall, about 6-7' from said wall. Along the back wall, I will have 18U racks all across, with 1' on either side next to the walls. In this space, I will be installing auralex lenrds (1'x1'x2' long) vertically next to the racks. I will miter additional lenrds to follow the slant up the ceiling, to the center of the room where my slant stops at 7' high. Across the width of the room, where the ceiling slant begins, I will be mitering in a 12" vertical pine board, side to side, and mounting lenrds on that. This of course leaves the exposed ceiling behind this pine board exposed to audio reflections, but this ceiling area will have 2'x2' foam (3" wedges) spaced 4-6" apart as mentioned above. This will balance out the audio reflections from the various surfaces, and enable me to install the maple hardwood floor I want to install in the studio. Reasonable balanced, some reflections, and nice hardwood makes for a nice control room.

You can also try rotating your monitors slightly, to see if that effects the reflections enough to give you a better overall sound.

If none of the above recommendations work for you, you might consider boosting the highs slightly on your overall mix, and possibly processing the stereo output signal through a BBE sonic maximizer product, which effectively does something similar - compressing the highs for a little more "brightness".

jal said:
im having alot of problem with my control room. i know what it is, i just wanted to know the least expensive way of fixing it.

the problem:
when i record and mix, everything sounds great, but when i listen to the cd anywhere else its lacking the "air" in the mix (or the highs) actually its pretty dull, and boy does that bum me out.

what i have:
9'x15'- thats 9ft from front to back and 15ft front from side to side. i have a slooping ceiling the highest part of the ceiling is 7ft and thats in the front, the lowest part is 6ft and thats in the back. the ceiling and the walls are regular 2x4 wall frames but r all double drywalled. the monitors im using r, KRK K-rocs and their sitting right in front of my c-room window. one is more in front of the wall than the other. i dont really have any other place to put them.

what would be the cheapest wat to fix this problem. i know i have to deaden it but i didnt want to spend any more than i had to. meaning, putting foam or carpet on all of the walls and the ceiling, when really all i had to do was put it on the back wall, know what im saying?

well thanx in advance,
jal
http://www.krksys.com/

Back