Help needed ! Yes im a noob

ScottishSinger

Hey guys...

I was wondering what the best advice is.....

Ive been told loads of time ive got the talent and so on, ive even been on the radio...

Im a singer songwriter... not a producer, which isnt really handy...

Could you guys check out my vids on my channel, like the newer ones... youl see that when you turn it up loud on your speakers... it produces a fuzz, clipping ? and i need a way to over come that... and maybe even a way to reduce that on the already recorded tracks...

HELP !!

Giving out a cover album soon for free so needs to be half decent quality !

Hey guys...

I was wondering what the best advice is.....

Ive been told loads of time ive got the talent and so on, ive even been on the radio...

Im a singer songwriter... not a producer, which isnt really handy...

Could you guys check out my vids on my channel, like the newer ones... youl see that when you turn it up loud on your speakers... it produces a fuzz, clipping ? and i need a way to over come that... and maybe even a way to reduce that on the already recorded tracks...

HELP !!

Giving out a cover album soon for free so needs to be half decent quality !

Hey Dean, like that DJ said great voice, your so lucky to have an out let like that to have your songs to get air play.
I couldn't tell the fuzz/popping and such due to trying to critically listen to your stuff on a cheap PC speakers.
My only guess wold be something amiss while your inside your computer. What are you running for FX and processing? And your levels are you keeping them all in the "Green"?

You're a really good singer!

That flanging sort of noise on the drum tracks of "Over My Head" was comb filtering, not fuzz or clipping. That's caused by out-of-phase signals being mixed together.

It could be that im using cheap speakers too ! But the thing is when I turn up a song im listening to on Youtube or something... It doesnt sound too bad on my crappy speakers.. Then when I turn my own songs up a bit I get that kinda crappy fuzzzy sound...

To be honest my computer is a heap of junk to an old thing likes that has been played about with

I think im keeping things in the green yeh... slightly yellow at the most... Il play around and see what i can do likes

Just looking for your suggestions.....

And thanks for the compliments guys.. Means alot ! Seriously... As I say im trying to be a proper singer.. and thats hard enough never mind trying to be a little producer haha !

Thanks Dean

p.s so how do i stop comb filtering ?

Proper microphone positioning will fix that combing effect and in a pinch reverse the phase of one of the mics. of the over heads.
As for fuzz I was going to say that maybe your computer is at it's limits but that is just a shot in the dark as far as that goes.

Oh and for effects... I use a little bit stereo enchancer, little reverb, and limiter... thats about it..

the radio song isnt that bad.... but its more the covers... think the radio guy may have tidied it up a bit :)

Proper microphone positioning will fix that combing effect and in a pinch reverse the phase of one of the mics. of the over heads.
As for fuzz I was going to say that maybe your computer is at it's limits but that is just a shot in the dark as far as that goes.

Thanks man ! Il take some of that on board.. Have a play around ... :)

Keep them coming guys ! anything helps :)

I got distortion / phasing at the start of the track (over my head) through my KRK's
Don't think thats comb filtering the problem as I see it is that you are playing the backing track over your PC speakers and adding vocal then adding that back to the backing track... the phasing is latency
Use cans to monitor and try to isolate each individual sound as much as possible.
If you are adding effects like enhancer, reverb etc ultimately you are effecting the backing track too... you only want to process the vocal
Good luck

Back