Help Needed - Female vocals and Piano

bozmillar

ok, so this song is pretty much a blank slate for me to work on. This girl came and recorded vocals and piano, and I'm supposed to fill in the rest. This song is very different from the style of music I'm used to playing, so I'm looking for some tips on which direction to take this.

Can anyone point me to some "real" songs that are along the lines of this style? I just want to get a feel for some of the production values that go along with the style and what instruments I should use.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Maybe bring something extra in after her first round of verses, not sure what yet...I may mess around with this on my keyboard, cause I dig this song...

Of course I am a minimalist, so I think it sounds good like this, lol.
Kirstin

I'm gonna do something with this in my free time this weekend. Someone may beat me to it, but at least I can try...

Very nice song.

ok, so this song is pretty much a blank slate for me to work on. This girl came and recorded vocals and piano, and I'm supposed to fill in the rest. This song is very different from the style of music I'm used to playing, so I'm looking for some tips on which direction to take this.

Can anyone point me to some "real" songs that are along the lines of this style? I just want to get a feel for some of the production values that go along with the style and what instruments I should use.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

You know, I kind of do stuff like her sometimes. I basically maybe add some drums, bass, and call it good. But not all of them have anything other than piano/vocals. And she plays more melodically than me...I'm a chord with a few notes thrown in kind of gal.

If you want to check it out...you can go to http://www.myspace.com/kirstinfrosheiser

Honestly....

this song is fantastic on its own.

Some low mixed warms strings would be nice. Strings work wonders. I'll give it a few more going over's to figure out where and when if your intrested.

Some Semi Drum and Bass beats to back it up here and there, the piano has theat kind of tempo for sure.

For an idea check out David Gray's "Please forgive me"

Thats what i feel it needs. I think just adding some bass and guitars would kind of shit it up.

Not sure what you had in mind though.

Honestly....

this song is fantastic on its own.

Some low mixed warms strings would be nice. Strings work wonders. I'll give it a few more going over's to figure out where and when if your intrested.

Some Semi Drum and Bass beats to back it up here and there, the piano has theat kind of tempo for sure.

For an idea check out David Gray's "Please forgive me"

Thats what i feel it needs. I think just adding some bass and guitars would kind of shit it up.

Not sure what you had in mind though.

Totally, I was messing with some cello on it, I haven't figured out what I'd do with a string section, but NO GUITAR, for sure. This song needs to stay sparse. IMO. I'm sure a lot of people will come up with mixes for this...but this song is right up my alley...

I'm feeling a hint of One Republic - "Too Late" (in particular) for this one. Big reverb'd kick, ambient snare & strings. Subtle, yet existent bass line. It might be far fetched, but I'd be interested to hear some synth playing off of strings, wayyyy off in the background as a filler track. I'd be careful so that it does not become competitive with her vocals if I did that though.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out!

hey guys, thanks for the help. I probably will be slow to respond for the next couple days due to being out of the house, but I'll keep checking in to see your suggestions.

Thanks a ton.

Nice song Boz.
Already sounds good on it's own, singer's got a delicate voice. Direction? maybe like something from Tori Amos?

Joey :):):):)

It's like Nelly Fertado on heroin. Listen to some Nelly Furtado and then strip it back some. This needs nothing more than some simple drum grooves, and simple bass. Maybe some strings, but that may be pushing it.

Nice song Boz.
Already sounds good on it's own, singer's got a delicate voice. Direction? maybe like something from Tori Amos?

Joey :):):):)

Yes. I was thinking of her as well. I have like every album she's ever put out, lol...even an 8 disc set. Look for one of her acoustic starting starting, she almost always will add something in. But a TON of times she doesn't. So, I agree on looking at her as a reference point.

ok, so I think I'm pretty much just adding bass and drums. I tried adding strings, but it just wasn't coming out right. My question now is about the drums.

Do they sound awkward on the chorus? At first I liked it, then it sounded weird, then I liked it again, now I can't tell.

Is it too much of a change up? or is it what the song needs to keep it moving?

Bass is definitely an improvement, but the drums haven't really brought about much change IMHO. I can hardly make the snare out, but I'm listening on cheap phones at work so that might be it.....

Voice - tone and performance are fabulous - just try another eq region for the piano -avoiding the mid region. Lows are welcome. All IMO

Good job and excellent piano playing too!:cool:

Ciro

oh man, yeah, sorry. That was hot off the press from last night at 2:00 in the morning. Listening now, I agree with what you've both said. I'll mess with levels tonight.

My first morning after listen didn't tell me that the drums were too lame, so I'm going to just roll with them the way they are unless someone tells me not to.

Hey Boz,

I think this is great. I listened to it a couple of times, paying special attention to the drums. I think the drums fit the song well, and the chorus pattern (like you said) keeps things moving IMO.

The singer is fanstastic too, reminds me of Sara Bareilles a la "Gravity".

Very nice.

Hey Boz,

I think this is great. I listened to it a couple of times, paying special attention to the drums. I think the drums fit the song well, and the chorus pattern (like you said) keeps things moving IMO.

The singer is fanstastic too, reminds me of Sara Bareilles a la "Gravity".

Very nice.

Sarah! That's who I was thinking he should listen to. I just couldn't think of her name...I listen to this song in my car all the time, lol.

Back