Help Needed - Absolute Newbie - Where to start?

TGO

Hey everybody,
After some years with music, I decided to start some recording at home like 2 months ago. I have no background info about music recording or any music recording equipment. I basically checked the web for equipments I need and found a couple of models to start with. I will be recording vocals, acoustic guitar and keyboard.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Audio Technica AT2020
M Audio AV 40 (now seen as AV42)

I do not know what software to use and what else I need.
Which equipment should I buy first? I am still saving money so I can not buy them all at once for now.

If I get these answered, my whole process will be a lot clearer.

Thank you very much.

Looks like you have some good gear selected to start.
What are you going to be recording?
Vocals, guitar, keys, drums?
Might influence a mic choice.

Let's assume you have a fairly new computer. You will need a DAW software package. A lot of folks around here recommend Cuckos Reaper; it is free to try and only $60 to buy.

That and the gear you listed is pretty much the minimum entry point for recording and monitoring what you've recorded. You may get a lot of suggestions about specific brands of interfaces and mics, and using headphones in lieu of monitors, but IMO its not going to make a lot of difference when you are just starting out.

I don't know where you are located, but this kind of gear is generally available second-hand on Craigslist or the like and that will save you some money.

Next you will want to think about the space you will be using, as that will have a huge impact on the sound you record and what you hear on playback. But I suggest getting started, and learn as you go. It's a lot of fun.

Oh yeah...
And how many tracks do you think you might want to record? Reaper seems like a seriously popular choice and is free to try.

Just a thought...If you suck with computers, like me and you can afford it consider mac, then I would recommend Logic X for software. But a pc will work just fine (I just reread your post)I have the At2020 I'm happy with it for a condenser, although I have dirty phantom power which made the noise floor a little high. But for a first mic I might recommend a dynamic like sm57, just because you'll be capturing so much sound from your room, which may not be a good thing.

Thanks a lot for your responses.
For software I will be going with Reaper. As far as I have read it is cheap and offers decent value for its price.
I will be recording in my room which is not so big, how will the size of the recording place effect my choices?
I read that vocals should be recorded through a condenser but acoustic guitar wise, do I have to buy a seperate instrument mic? Or can I directly get sound from it without an acoustic amp?
And again I will be mostly recording vocals and acoustic guitar. And time to time a keyboard.

Your answers are very valuable to me so I can really get going. Thanks in advance.

I read that vocals should be recorded through a condenser but acoustic guitar wise, do I have to buy a seperate instrument mic? Or can I directly get sound from it without an acoustic amp?

Condensers are actually great on acoustic guitars. You'll want to mess with mic positioning and such, but there should be no need to purchase a separate mic.

Here's an explanation of what I mean listening to the audio examples will help you understand also The awesome vocal booth you already own | recording hacks

There's nothing wrong with that mic on vocals or guitar. It's just more sensitive to picking up reflections which are typically a problem in a small room, Unless that's the sound your going for. IDK just trying to help, it's not like I'm making hit records myself.

I hope I am not going to confuse you TGO but you mentioned a keyboard? I f that has MIDI ports I would seriously consider the Steinberg UR22 AI over the F'rite. The UR22 also comes with a cut down but nonetheless powerful version of Cubase thus saving you 60quid for Reaper.

I also think those M-A monitors are VERY cheap? Unless someone here can attest to them being useful you might consider spending the same sort of money on some decent headphones instead. Monitors are important but you can get along for some time with just headphones. You will need some closed back types anyway if you want to sing along with guitar tracks.

Dave.

Here's an explanation of what I mean listening to the audio examples will help you understand also The awesome vocal booth you already own | recording hacks

There's nothing wrong with that mic on vocals or guitar. It's just more sensitive to picking up reflections which are typically a problem in a small room, Unless that's the sound your going for. IDK just trying to help, it's not like I'm making hit records myself.

Not the "use your car as a vocal booth" thing again. :spank:

May I make a different suggestion? Other than mic stand, cable, pop screen and headphones (if you don't have those already) don't spend any more money. Install the Reaper trial and do some recording. Listen to your results, see how easy you can learn Reaper and basically get some experience. Once you've had a play (and listened what's good and bad about your results) you will be in a much better position to know what you like and don't like--and need or don't need.

For starting out, the gear you have will be fine. As you gain experience you'll realise is that for every question their are tons of valid solutions depending on how you like your recordings to sound and what software suits your preferences.

May I make a different suggestion? Other than mic stand, cable, pop screen and headphones (if you don't have those already) don't spend any more money. Install the Reaper trial and do some recording. Listen to your results, see how easy you can learn Reaper and basically get some experience. Once you've had a play (and listened what's good and bad about your results) you will be in a much better position to know what you like and don't like

Did I miss something Bobbs? Did not think the OP had any kit yet?

Dave.

I may have misread the OP. I though he was saying he's already bought that list.

If not, I might suggest he checks out the Alesis iO2 interface instead of the Focusrite and you know my liking for mics like the Rode NT1A or sE X1.

I don't really know monitors at the economy end.

However my basic point is still that, rather than agonising about the purchase, it's worth diving in head first. Although I have my own preferences gear wise, his list would get him started (with the addition of a DAW and the bits and pieces I mentioned of course).

I may have misread the OP. I though he was saying he's already bought that list.

If not, I might suggest he checks out the Alesis iO2 interface instead of the Focusrite and you know my liking for mics like the Rode NT1A or sE X1.

I don't really know monitors at the economy end.

However my basic point is still that, rather than agonising about the purchase, it's worth diving in head first. Although I have my own preferences gear wise, his list would get him started (with the addition of a DAW and the bits and pieces I mentioned of course).

Absolutely agree about diving in! SO often peeps post shedloads of handringing queries about the minutia of gear when, as far as AIs go at least, it really does not matter (unless you need MIDI of course!) .

As for the monitors Bob? At £99pr I would suggest whale ***t dept rather than "budget"? I count my Tannoy 5As as very much budget monitors!

So, UR22 (or what 'ee ^ said) mic as suggested and a pair of closed back cans at a nifty of a bit more. Job's a good'un.

Then get stuck in.

Dave.

Thanks again for all your replies.
I will be choosing between Steinberg UR22 and Focusrite 2i2. Steinberg offers Cubase DAW within the pack which saves me some money. Which DAW is easier to get started with and adapt to? (Reaper vs Cubase)
For mics, it looks a little bit confusing. But we will get to that later.
And monitors, you said the ones I chose were too cheap. Should I be spending more money on monitors or headphones? I already have headphones but they are very regular and for daily usage, Sennheiser HD202. Can I actually get going without monitors and get them later when I learn stuff?

For sure just go with your Senns for the time being. Using cheap monitors with no low end in an untreated room won't help you learn at all.

Those that know and love Reaper will say it is easier to use than Cubase. Cubase users will say the opposite!

I have dabbled with both (and I DO mean "dabbled" I am NO musician!) and quite honestly you can get working as easily with one as the other OR! Both can be a pain, all DAWs demand a good deal of study.

What is the make and model of your keyboard? If it has MIDI DIN ports go for the Steinberg and Cubase is just the dog's for MIDI.

I had a pair of 202s (got sat on) pretty good I thought for about $25?

Dave.

My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR E343. However, embarrassingly enough, I don't know what the term MIDI is. Can you explain?

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of the interfaces that you've mentioned so far. Since your keyboard doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI input or output, I wouldn't stress over MIDI capability on your interface. It's a nice thing to have, but not necessary if you have USB connectivity on your keyboard.

Think of MIDI as the roll of paper in a player piano with all of the holes punched in it...it isn't music, it's just information about what notes to hit, how hard to hit them, and how long to hold them. Your keyboard can generate MIDI data, send it to the computer, and then you can use a virtual instrument on the computer to actually make the sounds. So you could, for instance, use a piano VSTi or a synthesizer, or a drum kit, or an electric bass. There are zillions of VSTi (virtual instrument plugins) out there. It's a great thing to have in a home studio.

Back