HELP! My computer needs a Doctor!

saxman72

I actually have two problems :( I don't know if they're related or not...

First of all, I'm running Cubase VST/32 on Win98

Ok, so a while back I un-installed McAfee virus stuff and installed Norton virus stuff. I think the un-install removed some things that my computer still needed! I always get three messages when I start up my computer:

1. cannot find CTL3D.DLL windows needs this file to run C:\OPLIMIT\OCRAWARE.EXE

2. ocraware.exe
(X) Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied

3. desktop
/!\ Could not load or run 'ocraware.exe' specified in the WIN.INI file. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI file.

I usually just 'enter' through these messages and just about everything on the computer works fine. The problem occurs however when I record new audio on Cubase:
Once I make a new audio recording, that track doesn't play back. I have to select/highlight a different track and then MAYBE the one I just recorded will play. But then, the track I just selected won't play. And to top it off, sometimes a track once selected won't play anymore even if I select a different track.

The first time this weirdness happened, I got an error messsage when I closed Cubase. I was in a hurry and didn't write it down. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the error message to pop up again even though I'm still encountering the same problems... from what I remember, it said something like:

"synsopos error caused by Cubase..." (I don't rembmer the rest)

In my amateur sleuthing, I found that synsopos files exist in the Windows\System folder and in the Cubase\Backup folder. However, no synsopos files exist in the main Cubase folder. Should they?

Yikes! Long post and I don't know if this'll make sense to anyone, but I hope it does!

Anyone know how I can remedy one or both of these problems? Ask me questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

Thanks so much in advance!

Saxman72

I'm not sure the problems are related, but here's a couple of links that might help.

http://www.mc3computerclub.org/faqsVirus.htm#6

http://www.tides.com/1103.htm

You either need to delete the reference to that .dll fill in winini if it is no longer needed. Or, you need to reinstall that file into the Windows\System folder if it is still needed by a program. Probably the safest is to download the file and reinstall it. One of the links above has the file available. Good luck.

thanks Monte,

looks like other people have had the same .dll problem after installing Norton. I'll give that a shot and see what it does. I kinda doubt it'll fix my Cubase problem, but at least it'll take care of one problem. We'll see though!

I've had problems building software installs with ctl3d. The problem was mainly that there are different versions for the 98 vs NT file but they are named the same.

Any decent installer should be smart enough to install the correct version if it needs it. You might try typing the file name into the search at msdn.microsoft.com and see if an article comes up with a link to the file. This file produces all the 3d shading effects in windows (reportedly).

ocraware sounds like some spyware type stuff but I dunno, maybe do a search on it on the net and see what comes up. It doesn't sound like the name of a file that would keep an audio app from working.

Sounds like a case of dll hell. If you can safely re install your audio apps without losing all your work (backup, backup backup) I'd give that a try. If that doesn't work call the support for your audio programs. Installers are supposed to be able to set the computer up with all the required support files.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I just searched ocraware and kinda found out what it is. Nothing that should interfere with an audio app as far as I can tell...

I tried searching in cubase.net earlier today but it seemed to be down. I'll try again, and if I don't find anything then it's on to Steinberg "Customer Service". We'll see how THAT goes :rolleyes: but yeah... hopefully they can help me out!

Thanks!

Back