Help mic works with andorid phone but not on yamaha dgx670

durecu

Hi there!
please do not laugh.....I have a mic that works very well on my phone recording but when i plug it into my dgx ! 670, it does nothing.....on the mic setting on the yamaha, it does not capture any sound.... I have connected the mic to the dgx 670 with a quarter inch plug ...are all quarter inch plugs the same? mine came with my headphone accesory.....
thanks for clarification.

You need to be more specific in which microphone you have, and how you are connecting to your phone. Some mics that are used with a phone or video camera can require power (usually 5V) to power internal electronics.

According to the DGX 670 owners manual, the input is just a simple 1/4 mono plug. There are no specs as to whether it is hi or low impedance, but I suspect something like a basic SM57 or Behringer XM8500 would work.

I assume you have some type of adapter, how the adapter you have is wired will make a difference. All 1/4" plugs are not "the same" in that you have both 2 and 3 connector plugs (Tip/Sleeve or Tip/Ring/Sleeve). 1/8" to 1/4"? 3 pin to 2 pin? You need to be specific about the pieces you have.

I'm thinking one possibility may be the 1/4-inch plug which "came with my headphone accessory". I'm guessing that piece is the adaptor that screws onto the 1/8-inch plug and is TRS - not TS. This might only be one cause.

The mic may also need power, which a phone provides, but audio inputs on jack connectors usual do not on proper audio gear. It may be expecting 5V up the spout, and without it, won't work! Small jacks come in 2, 3 and 4 circuit versions.

Thank you! For all your input.....since I just want to record myself trying to sing along playing the piano( not good at either) I want to spend as little money on that as possible .... What mic can I get that's sure to work?

Well, if you're going to go cheapest route, not worried too much about sound quality recording, some kind of dynamic mic which is a knockoff (copy) of the real thing - something like one of these copies of a Shure SM58 should do. The real thing (Shure SM58) will run you $99 + price of new cable - this bundle is more affordable.

The better you want your vocal recording to sound, the more you'll need to spend on a better microphone.

Spending more for a name brand, you will get better quality - something that works right out of the box and will last many years.

Dynamic Microphone and Cable bundle - Amazon

Last edited:
A Behringer XM8500 runs $25 on Amazon, the SL855 is $22. the Behringer SL 75C is $21. You will need an XLR to 1/4" cable to go with them (like in the Pyle that Spantini pointed to. These are all dynamic mics, similar to an SM57 or 58 from Shure. You really shouldn't expect to go much lower in price, it's basically the price of a pizza!

Generally I would stay away from the cheap condenser microphones like the BM800 types on Amazon. Some require external voltage that your Yamaha does not supply. Some come with batteries.

Back