Help me with THIS Saturday's Gig!!

homeuser

!@#$% Now I've gone and done it! I jam from time to time with other musicians but havn't played a real gig (on drums) in over 20 years! About 3 weeks ago a local band asked if I could sit in on a "small gig" for them. It's mostly music from "Journey" so the drumming skills aren't the problem. Things have been going "good enough" that they are satisfied with my drumming for the gig this saturday. Here's the problem, I just found out this "small" gig is going to have between 500-1000 people. Now all of a sudden I'm scared shitless!! I've been dropping my sticks at practice, I'm all sweaty, etc.

Here's some questions:

Do you guys make "eye contact" with the audience when jamming on the drums? Should I even be concerned with this?

Any tips to help make my hands more sticky and hold on to the fricking sticks!! (spray, glue?!?!) LOL

How much should I warm up the day of the gig, WHEN should I warm up?

Any other tips you may have (how to relax, presentation on stage, warm up exercises, etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What you are describing is totally psychological.Concentrate on the music and get lost in it.Making eye contact is Ok,but dont lose focus of why you are there and what you are supposed to be doing.Playing music...

If the band has confidence in you - then have confidence in yourself.

It doesn't matter if you're playing for 10 people or 1,000 - it's still making music. Besides, once the stage lights hit you in the eyes, you won't be able to see past the first few people.

As far as making eye contact, that is up to you - but a secret that I learned many years ago - find one or two "friendly faces" people who are into the music, make eye contact with then - they will smile and nod, this will give you a warm fuzzy feeling, and you're nerves will calm.

Regarding warm ups - do you warm up before a jam? have you warmed up before practising with this band? A gig isn't really that much different.

Regaring holding onto the sticks - there are things like stick tape and "Gorilla Snot", you can also sand the finish off the stick to help with the grip - but I don't think it's a good idea to try new things the day before a gig.

Many years ago I was at a "gig from hell" it started bad the minute we arrived and got worse and worse (and we hadn't even starting playing yet). Just when I was about to lose my composure - the bass player said "you know, in 4 hours we'll be out of here - it's just a gig"

I have lived every gig to those words since "It's just a gig" - "In 4 hours it will mean nothing".

So - do the gig - have fun - and don't worry about it!!!!

mikeh said:
As far as making eye contact, that is up to you - but a secret that I learned many years ago - find one or two "friendly faces" people who are into the music, make eye contact with then - they will smile and nod, this will give you a warm fuzzy feeling, and you're nerves will calm.

that usually gets you laid at the end of the night too.......

if you get mad butterflies just drink or smoke a bowl..... they have condoms for your sticks so they wont slip as easily..... you'll end up in the zone , dont sweat it.

I personally don't usually make eye contact. I'm usually either looking down or up or at the other band members. If theres a good dance floor happening, I will watch that occasionally - provides some sort of inspiration.

What mikeh said about the slipping problem.

Warming up on a practice pad or pillow never hurts before a gig, as does stretching etc. I would suggest taking some deep breaths before you go on as this usually always helps to calm.

If you are used to drinking at all, ONE (maybe two depending on your tolerance level, body size, etc) drink may help to relax you and generally let you have fun with it.

It may be a little nerve racking in the beginning, but I can pretty much guarantee that after the first couple of songs, you will be settled into a groove and loving every minute of it. Good luck!

It's mostly music from "Journey" so the drumming skills aren't the problem.

Whad'ya mean? :confused: His parts (Steve Smiths) are very intricate! You must be pretty good?

Anyway... all ya gotta do is during the show, think back about how stupid it was that everyone went gaga when Steve Perry shaved off his mustache! I remember in 81', they had a big screen behind them that showed him shaving it off and all the women filled the arena with "Ohhhhh nooooooo"! It was rediculous!!:D
That should make you forget about all your stage fears.

RF

wow, thanks for the replies guys!! shit!! now ive been up all night with the butterflies, I have to get some frickin rest!! I'll look into the sticky stuff at my local Guitar Center today. I dont drink but I think I'll have half a beer before I go on stage to relax me.

"Whad'ya mean? His parts (Steve Smiths) are very intricate! You must be pretty good?"

I find Steve Smith's drumming VERY basic. At least on the songs for the this gig. The "most difficult" songs are Seperate Ways and Mother Father. I have to admit I totally kick major ass on Seperate Ways. :)

Here's the set list. We're only doing 1 set. (Not in the correct order of the show.)

Seperate Ways
Ask The Lonely
Wheel In The Sky
Dont Tell Me You Love Me (Night Ranger)
Lights/Stay Awhile
Mother Father
Send Her My Love
Lovin Touchin Squeezin
Any Way You Want It
Open Arms
Faithfully
Who's Crying Now

As you can see, the drumming skills for this set are fairly basic. Actually they open themselves up to alot of improvisation which I hope to have fun with. (If I don't freak out.)

For the record, Steve Smith is an amazing drummer and he laid down some of the tastiest licks ever in the pop rock field, but I do think any average to good drummer can relicate his playing with Journey fairly easy. Now, I HAVE seen him solo and THAT's when you get to see just how good this guy REALLY is!

Thanks again for the tips!

Better re-read theletterq's post again...

Since you say you're not a drinker, I'd certainly NOT recommend you drink any alchohol before you play. Same goes for smoking, snorting, shooting up, etc. :)

There are other ways of relaxing: doing warm-ups, running in place, stretching, deep breathing as already suggested.

Even a few old Jack Handy affirmations can come in handy. (sorry)

By the second or third tune, you'll no doubt be over the jitters. Just try to smile a little, and have fun!

-bruce

Update on last night's Gig:

The first song of the gig was "Seperate Ways". I SWEAR my left arm (I play left handed) was totally numb and felt like it was going to fall off after the first chorus. I was almost in a panic. Luckily I kept my game face on, took a bunch of slow deep breaths (during the tune) and slowly but surely right before the group of "quads" right before the 2nd chorus happens, my arm came back and I was able to continue. I have NEVER experienced anything like this before. It felt like my muscle was just turning to slush for a while there. I chalk it up to nerves. :)

And you guys are right about the "zone" thing. After that first song and the crowd going nuts, things progressed almost flawlessly. I hope someone recorded this gig. I didn't drop a stick once!!

It was so cool to have everyone coming up to me and going "dude, you rock, etc.." I forgot how much attention the drummer gets from the crowd. Very cool. :)

You guys that do this every weekend have my new found respect. After being part of a live gig after 20 years, I'd have to state the drummer has the most to do. Setup, warm up, perform, breakdown, etc. First to arrive, last to leave. :) I'm glad I had a collection of roadies (friends and family) to help me out. :)

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Back