Help me with the mixing of this song

punkjaso

My band and I recently recorded this last weekend and right now there are a couple of rough edges we need to fix(some of the guitar parts), but other than that it's pretty much finished. I'm looking for critiques on the song, and the mix itself as mixing is always very frustrating for our band as we are new to recording.

Click Here To Listen!

I'm sitting listening right now... Because it's kind of late here in sweden, I'm just listening through my headphones... So I might change my opinion tomorrow when I will listen through my monitors...

Anyways, i think it's a really cool song! Don't really know why, I simply can't put my figner on it...!

It feels like the mix is too sepparated, and don't get me wrong, sepparation is good, but not too much of it! The guitar is all the time in my left speaker.... and i think it makes the guitarr a bit lame! Give it a more central role, and spice things up with a compressor.. With the singin i feel the same way.. It's not as upfront as I want it to be. So, compress it and make it fit by adapting it with some EQ.

With the right EQ you can push the volume limits without leaving some instruments out of the mix. So try to make room for all the instruments and use some compression... That's my silly piece of advice!

But in some way, I like this tune! Keep up the good work lads!

/Chip

that's my problem though is that I basically have no clue how to eq anything. My band and I are very new to recording and mixing. If you are willing to educate me on eq that would be awesome or give me an example of what you mean when eqing.

Drums are really good in this mix, with clarity and panning....

Rest of the instruments are sitting nicely also, easy to distinguish and follow.

The short lead guitar part is a little loud in spots, maybe compress that a bit.

The vocals need to be compressed/eq'd up (say 250HZ) and then up in volume a bit to bring them out. They are hard to make out.....

Good flow to the tune, enjoyed the groove and the song itself.......

:) :D :) :D

Back