Help me with my bass!

Nico2112

I own a Yamaha RBX200 bass. I know it's old ('80s), but it sounded great when I bought it second hand a couple of years ago.

In time, it has stopped sounding crisp, and a terrible humming is audible no matter what I do to my recording/editing gear. Now I'm really having problems when trying to blend my bass track with the rest of the mix. It sounds awful (since I have to use Noise red and hiss red heavily)

I took it to my local luthier, and had it checked. He told me that the circuitry was all wrong, and that the jack it had installed was inapropriate.

I went to pick it up yesterday. I checked the work he did, he changed the jack, and did all the soldering again. In theory, it should sound great, without any humming...but the hum is still there. I took my Tascam to check the sound before paying him. He said the following:

1) He showed me the circuitry layout diagram, to ensure me he had soldered it the right way; and told me that, the earth pole (I don't know if this is the correct way to call it) is soldered to the bridge, hence the hum. This hum dissapeared whenever you touch a string, any string. He kept on, and told me these Yamaha basses had this design flaw:confused:...I just don't beleive him.

2) Dull sound is due to old strings (that I beleive, those strings have not been replaced in more than 5 years. I'm doing the denatured alcohol cleaning procedure tomorrow, since I don't have any spare cash for a new set of strings).

I just don't buy it!

What do you guys think.

Is my bass trash for recording? is there something I should try doing?

I took it to a luthier to solve the problem once and for all, and the problem is still there:(:mad:

Any input is going to be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

If the bridge solder is the issue he ought to have corrected that for you - it also doesn't explain why that issue wasn't present until recently.Did you ask him to fix the problem?

If it's not earthed properly & he knows it yet didn't recommend that you get him to address that he can be liable if you get zapped - put that on him.

If Y did he fix it?
If N DON'T PAY HIM until he does OR TAKE IT BACK & insist it be fixed.

Dull strings - does happen but I've used string for much longer you can adjust things to some degree - new strings eventually is a good option.

I can't say this will fix your bass but recently I helped a friend with a similar problem with his bass (Kramer Striker.) We tried the resolder route which didn't help. Tried body cavity shielding, it still hummed. Installed new jack, a little better but not much. Then we hit the jackpot, changed the volume pot and presto, no more hum. I don't know exactly what was wrong with the pot but changing it sure eliminated the hum. Pots cost less than $5 each and are fairly easy to change, it's a possibility you may have the same problem, even if your pots seem to be working.

Thanks for your repplies guys:)

Ray,
I asked him to leave the circuitry as the original diagram. I thought if properly wired (like in the factory) there shouldn't be any reason for it to hum. That's when he said it was a design flaw. He asked me if I wanted him to play around with it, but I said no. He encouraged me to test it with my studio, and to bring it back if I wanted some modifications. He offered me to change both, the volume and tone pots, but I still have to test it properly before taking it back to him.

Dani,
That could be it. Maybe changing the pots can solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

any chance it could be the tascam? if that isnt grounded properly, then what you are discribing can happen (meaning the hum)

Hmmm, it could be:rolleyes:.

Probably the AC outlet I used to plug in the Tascam, at his house, wasn't properly grounded. Good point Tom:)

I just have to wait until tomorrow (when the denatured alcohol string clean up ends); slap the strings back on, and test it here at my studio.

How come I left this behind...I only tested it at his house!

Great comment mate. Thanks!

Cheers!

The test track came out OK:D, no humming!

I'm satisfied now with the work my luthier did.

Oh, and the denatured alcohol string cleaning procedure, sure brings them back to life:D:D

Cheers!

Back