Help me unleash my creative side

1ply

I have a problem. I am very analytical. I got a Ph.D. from an old British university for my ability to analyze ancient Hebrew poetry (Old Testament a.k.a. Hebrew Bible, or Hebrew Bible, a.k.a. Old Testament). I can be creative when solving problems, creating jokes etc. but not writing poetry or music. As soon as I begin to write it, I analyze it.
I used to write songs when I was about 35 years younger, but I ceased to nurture that creative side of myself.
Please don’t suggest drug use. Marijuana used to stimulate my creative side but I have not used it for over 37 years and work in prison ministry with prisoners. I don’t want to do anything that might damage my security clearance. I also don't want to use it for other reasons.
:confused:

1ply said:
I have a problem. I am very analytical.

Well, at least you know the problem. Maybe get some of your favorite artists CDs out and look at the lyrics. Also, go and talk to some people making lyrics for their songs if you know them well.

I think what you will find out is that lyrics don't have to make sense. There might not even be any meaning to them at all. People will make the lyrics have meaning if they like the song. I say don't worry about it too much.

Also, many articles point to the fact that whatever the original meaning or intent of the artist was (if he had one) is not what people interpret a song to be about often times.

;) ;) ;)

Ok, this could be a ramble, but let's give it a try... :)

First, I'm not sure that being analytical is necessarily the problem in itself. However, if we become too critical of our ideas we stifle them before they can flower. That is a problem.

What we need is some way of not analysing or applying any critical thought to our ideas while we are in the idea phase. If you are analytical, you may like De Bono's "6 thinking hats" - in this case, I am talking about the green hat. (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTED_07.htm).

If it works for you, you could construct songs in a very linear fashion. You could analyse them, create affinity diagrams.. really go to town :)

The trouble is, not many people can create like that.

What is involved in a song? At its simplest, I see 3 things that need to be created.

1. The idea
2. The music (can be split into numerous parts, but the basic melody and rythm)
3. The lyrics

If I try and do these sequentially, I can get stuck fast. If I approach it from an analytical angle, it can't all come to me simultaneously.

It may be tempting to start with The Idea. There is nothing wrong with that. However, once you have an idea, stop! Get another idea. Don't move straight into the music unless you already know how it sounds. Don't develop the lyrics unless you are drawn by their rythm.

So what constitutes an Idea? Well, it could be a feeling. It could be a single lyric (one line or phrase). It could be a theme. It has to be more than "hmm, something about insertsomeintellectualideahere". You have to have an emotion attached to it, I think. What does it feel like? How does it smell/look/sound .. most importantly sound. Can you associate a visual with it? What is the soundtrack? Can you weave a story around it?

If you have an idea and are drawn into writing, and are excited by it, go ahead. Often, however, I find that I am not ready. If that same thing happens to you, jot the idea down.. it can always be picked up later. Keep a list of ideas. And get another.

You can do the same with lyrics.

However, many of us find that the key to unlocking some of this stuff is the music.

I can't create music analytically (and that helps me), maybe some people can. I can develop it analytically, but I don't create the initial musical essence analytically.

I mess around, take risks and find something I like as a start point. I play it over and over and try and make it more interesting. I might get analytical at that point, trying different progressions, alternatives, changing rhythm and tempo.

At some point, however, I just go over it and over it.

Sometimes I find a lucky mistake that works. Sometimes words just come into my head. Often they are crap. That's fine, they are flowing.. let them come..

.. la da di da di da di da
.. this prison is bursting at the seams
.. Do you know what tomorrow brings
.. etc...

At some point you think.. "hmm, where did that come from?". Maybe a line .. I don't know .. "Where do we go from here, my love?".

Out of our subconscious comes something that we were censoring, something that strikes a chord. A relationship that is foundering? Whatever it may be, a new idea starts to form and there is a skeleton to build on. Then the graft starts.

If that doesn't work for you, try jotting down all of the random lines on separate pieces of paper. Arrange the pieces and form a pattern .. I bet there is a pattern (after all, it came from one person's mind and that person has human preoccupations that they are processing).

Then don't censor yourself. Develop it. If it wants to change into something else and that seems better, let it. The only objective is to establish a basic song - it doesn't have to be the song you started on (you can always do that one another time).

Once you have that basis, the rest is polishing - repetition, editing and hard graft.

And once you have one song, you are on a roll.

There is no secret except.. don't wait for inspiration. Inspiration is something that happens while you work imho. And find any method to disrupt overly linear thinking until you are settled on a complete idea (with all 3 parts) and have a clear vision of what you are creating. Until that point, use the stuff that you can't do intellectually while listening to your inner voice. In my case, that is the music.

hmm.. better stop.. I am starting to ramble.

I do wish you luck though. Just write something, anything. The next thing will be better. If not, that's fine too (we can get stuck all over again if we write something we really like, because we don't think we can top it). Then we are back to the same .. we need to just write something (anything). If you have something, you can build on it. If you have nothing, you have nothing to build on.

The first rule of song-writing? There are no rules.

My therapist (if I had the money to have one or had done something so bad that the state provided one for free) would say your propensity to over analyse is just a very sophisticated block and that you should look at what you fear about just letting go and writing – usually failure.

As you have a doctorate in literature, particularly in an archaic form you will have a very keen objectivity and also some very strong ideas about what constitutes effective, creative and ‘correct’ use of language. Unfortunately it appears that you are now apply those faculties to your own work, crippling your genius before it has the opportunity to grow.

You’ve got to trick your self and switch off the critical mind and let the id run free – see posts in other threads like ‘How do you get ideas’, below or ‘How do you cure writers block’ from a couple of weeks ago for specific techniques of how to do this.

How does someone with a PhD in ancient Hebrew end up in the prison system?

You might try writing the entire song without stopping. Get the complete story line first. Then in the days and weeks to come your analytical skills will be an asset as you rewrite. Janis Ian often rewrites a song for 7 or 8 months before she is done with it so you will be in good company. Good luck. ;)

1ply said:
I have a problem. I am very analytical. I got a Ph.D. from an old British university for my ability to analyze ancient Hebrew poetry (Old Testament a.k.a. Hebrew Bible, or Hebrew Bible, a.k.a. Old Testament). I can be creative when solving problems, creating jokes etc. but not writing poetry or music. As soon as I begin to write it, I analyze it.
I used to write songs when I was about 35 years younger, but I ceased to nurture that creative side of myself.
:
here's what i suggest....get silly!! not crazy ior dangerous but find the child in you. rock out to the music of the wiggles.or trout fishing in america- some of the finest and fun songwriters i ever heard....eat a triple scoop ice cream. invite over soem neighbors kids for a tea party.children are creative without inhibition, without analasys, without fear...and with so much joy. and you wopuld be surprised the deep lessons you learn from them that make you want to write. just find the simple and goofy joys again and if you find yourself analyzing it, switch songs, or ice cream flavors or whatever.

I fought the texts and the texts won

Whatmysay asked, "How does someone with a PhD in ancient Hebrew end up in the prison system?"

My one line answer is, “I fought the texts and the texts won.”

The longer answer boils down to this. It used to capture the text (or at least that was what I thought). What did the original author mean (or more precisely, what is the most probable reconstruction of the original text and the meaning of the original author)? What did the text mean to the original audience? How has the text been interpreted throughout its history? What are the philosophical and theological implications of the text? And finally, what are the practical applications of the text?

I leaned Classical Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Akkadian, Ugaritic, Aramaic, plus the modern languages so that I could master it.

The texts ended up capturing me and mastering me. How could I read the passages about justice and righteousness, mercy and suffering and not take the suffering of the prisoners seriously. The lies I told myself were no longer convincing.

The final exam is not about the meanings of texts but about sheep and goats.

Have you discovered the power of love or are you still trapped in the love of power?

I hope my answer demonstrates that I have plenty of ideas. They just don't rhyme and they don't have rhythm.

Sorry, I don't know how to use the quick reply option.

1ply said:
Whatmysay asked, "How does someone with a PhD in ancient Hebrew end up in the prison system?"

My one line answer is, “I fought the texts and the texts won.”

The longer answer boils down to this. It used to capture the text (or at least that was what I thought). What did the original author mean (or more precisely, what is the most probable reconstruction of the original text and the meaning of the original author)? What did the text mean to the original audience? How has the text been interpreted throughout its history? What are the philosophical and theological implications of the text? And finally, what are the practical applications of the text?

I leaned Classical Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Akkadian, Ugaritic, Aramaic, plus the modern languages so that I could master it.

The texts ended up capturing me and mastering me. How could I read the passages about justice and righteousness, mercy and suffering and not take the suffering of the prisoners seriously. The lies I told myself were no longer convincing.

The final exam is not about the meanings of texts but about sheep and goats.

Have you discovered the power of love or are you still trapped in the love of power?

I hope my answer demonstrates that I have plenty of ideas. They just don't rhyme and they don't have rhythm.

Sorry, I don't know how to use the quick reply option.
this is fascinating to me. i am an orthodox jew and i studied the old testiment in hebrew alot growing up although probably not so acedemicly as you.

1ply said:
The texts ended up capturing me and mastering me. How could I read the passages about justice and righteousness, mercy and suffering and not take the suffering of the prisoners seriously.

You stopped looking AT it and started looking INTO it. Way to go. You have both my reps and my respect. ;)

That's helpful to know.

I now find myself wondering whether you simply want to write songs (as an end in itself) or whether you want to write songs as a means to an end.

I had assumed the former, and now I am not so sure. The latter will be harder I suspect.

One piece of advice I found helpful was to simplify. A song only needs to say one thing. Additional complexity can spoil it.

And it helps to have that thing be a feeling - an emotion.

The song can tell a story, but it should convey a simple message represented in a single emotion.

People may think differently - but I believe they feel things the same way.

How do you feel? :)

Beauty and truth should embrace in the best art. I want to write songs that are both beautiful and true. I aspire to art.

I suspect you are correct in your advice to simplify. When I was a professor I used to tell my students that well designed essays and books should be like well designed airplanes, they should encounter the least resistance possible.

I confess that I have not applied this to song writing. I am especially guilty of this. A friend read one of my poems and told me that he did not understand the literary allusions. Since he has a Ph.D. in English Literature from Berkley, I recognized my obscurity. The allusions were to the Hebrew Bible and Sumerian/Babylonian mythology.

I agree too that feelings are important. Emotional intelligence is not my greatest strength but I am getting better.

I agree that we all share a common humanity and that emotions are an important component of our common humanity. In a sense, music is the language of the gods. It transcends language.

Maybe it is a function of age but I have seen too much to suffering and too much beauty to be satisfied with OB-LA-DI-BLA-DA.

Peace

1ply said:
Maybe it is a function of age but I have seen too much to suffering and too much beauty to be satisfied with OB-LA-DI-BLA-DA.

False dichotomy? Simple doesn't have to be simplistic :)

Simple is also usually harder than ornate imho.

(P.S. I'm getting on a bit too :) )

I agree simple does not have to be simplistic. I was referring to a posting on another thread, "Do lyrics matter?" where OB-LA-DI-BLA-DA was used as example of a meaningless lyric.
Since I am in no way an expert in the interpretation of the Beatles, I do not want to engage in an argument over the meaning of OB-LA-DI-BLA-DA. It is altogether possible that there is great significance in this lyric but initially I find this improbable.
I agree that simple is often harder than ornate. I also agree with Einstein that things should be as simple as they can be and not one bit simpler. One of my most difficult tasks was to write an interpretation of difficult oracles in the book of Isaiah in less than 300 words for third world pastors. I face this difficulty every time I preach in prison.
Peace

1ply you sound devastatingly intelligent, but by your own admission you are working on your emotional intelligence. It is extremely rare that those lacking EQ have the capacity to register it in themselves and to me demonstrates your ongoing critical dialogue with the world and your place in it – your internal monologue must be amazing?

But I take issue with the claim ‘you aspire to art’ and I think this is where your creativity is being held back. No one should aspire to art, because it is such a personal and relative concept. If you are aspiring to art then you are aspiring to someone else’s values of form or content. If you aspire to your own art then this is very cool. You refer to not being an expert on the inspiration of the Beatles – they are no experts – the Beatles didn’t write their music to be analysis, they were trying to pay the rent, as was Shakespeare, Da Vinci and Einstein – never fail to see their artistry in that context very little about art is divine. An empty belly and a hard bed are a wonderful source of inspiration.

Still after teaching drama and media for 10 years and being an actor, writer and director for the 10 years before that – I believe less in art and much more in craft.Both Freddy’s reference to De Bono and Up-Fiddler’s reference to Janis Ian are talking about a process of crafting, of making silk purses out of pigs ears.

You mentioned you write/think up jokes easily – do they come to you complete (set-up and punch line) or do you smell something funny and have to develop the effective way to set it up and close it? The later is what song writing is to me and I think most of those who inhabit this forum. You start with a music riff or melody or a lyrical hook and you build from there.

The flurry of statements you noted above seem like title to essay in a philosophy course – not what I would consider snippets of inspiration – they are to closed. It is almost like the song would be over before it starts.

Try the similes and metaphors game. Love is like a Hong Kong Taxi (fill in the gap). . . red and badly driven! Dive in and celebrate clique, absurdity and humour that you can come up with and don’t go all ancient texts in your comparisons – keep it in the world your listener inhabits. Do you keep a note book or have a digital recorder – sometimes recording randomly then reviewing laterally joins ideas and create unique combination.

I think however you may be ‘wordbound’ – try to access your lyrics in less structured ways - let visual art wash over you (books of pictures or TV channel hopping) then just respond to what you see, write commentary or just emotions. I think you misinterpreted my previous post when you claimed that having the idea wasn’t the problem – I agree, the problem IMHOit is how you value those initial ideas and respond to shape them that is the next step - supend your judgement.

Don’t worry about rhyming – just remove the front consonant from the vowel and end consonant, that you wish to rhyme with, then run all the letters of the alphabet in front. (e.g. Dog – og; aog, bog, cog, eog, fog, etc.). List the words that have potential then build rhyming lines towards the end word and see which one you like best. Hell you speak several languages you’d have more rhyming words then any of us.

If you feel you lack rhythm/musicallity then post some lyrics or even lyric ideas up for collaboration with a muso. I'm happy to help out.

As the greatest sage of all says ‘Don’t think do’ -Yoda

HTH Burt

Thanks to all of you who have paid me the compliment of reading, reflecting and responding to my posting. You are truly a blessing to me.

Whatmysay said:
1ply you sound devastatingly intelligent, but by your own admission you are working on your emotional intelligence. It is extremely rare that those lacking EQ have the capacity to register it in themselves and to me demonstrates your ongoing critical dialogue with the world and your place in it – your internal monologue must be amazing?
I may be intelligent but I always remind myself, “If you are the most intelligent person you have every met, you don’t get around much.”
I have reflected on your comment about my internal dialogue. I have thought of this analogy. Imagine Fyodor Dostoevsky, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Mark Twain, Randy Newman, Monty Python, Nelson Mandela, Saint Teresa of Ávila, Moses, Jesus, the prophets, the Devil and all his demons living together on a deserted island involved in heated debate punctuated by jokes.
As I said, I am working on my EQ. How can I not recognize this about myself since those whose judgment I trust and who love me have pointed this out to me? My only choice was to accept it and work on it or to engage in self-deception and make myself so stupid that I would believe my own lies.

But I take issue with the claim ‘you aspire to art’ and I think this is where your creativity is being held back. No one should aspire to art, because it is such a personal and relative concept. If you are aspiring to art then you are aspiring to someone else’s values of form or content. If you aspire to your own art then this is very cool. You refer to not being an expert on the inspiration of the Beatles – they are no experts – the Beatles didn’t write their music to be analysis, they were trying to pay the rent, as was Shakespeare, Da Vinci and Einstein – never fail to see their artistry in that context very little about art is divine. An empty belly and a hard bed are a wonderful source of inspiration.
I live in awe of great art. The Hebrew poetry of Job and Isaiah are my favorites and great beyond my ability to describe. I don’t aspire to imitate their art, as if I could, but to create my own art. I concede that it will never come close to these examples. It is not that I want to be viewed as a great artist. In as much as I am able, I live my life for the approval of the ONE. But I strangle the infant in its cradle when I compare my own feeble attempts at art with the greats. I have learned from this forum so far that I just need to let it come and be patient as I let it mature and develop.
I agree that there probably are no experts in the interpretation of the Beatles. I just didn’t want to claim more than I knew. The phrase OB-LA-DI-BLA-DA might mean something of which I am unaware. As always I live in the tension between what I know, what I don’t know and what I think I know.

Still after teaching drama and media for 10 years and being an actor, writer and director for the 10 years before that – I believe less in art and much more in craft.Both Freddy’s reference to De Bono and Up-Fiddler’s reference to Janis Ian are talking about a process of crafting, of making silk purses out of pigs ears.
I agree that I need to work on craft. I admire your EQ. I can’t imagine doing the things you have done. I am not covetous but I admire your talents.
You mentioned you write/think up jokes easily – do they come to you complete (set-up and punch line) or do you smell something funny and have to develop the effective way to set it up and close it? The later is what song writing is to me and I think most of those who inhabit this forum. You start with a music riff or melody or a lyrical hook and you build from there.
Sometimes jokes come full formed. Once I even spoke a joke in my sleep that I made up that made my wife laugh. Where it came from, I have no idea. Sometimes jokes come with an insight and then the rest comes within seconds. Sometimes I refine them later. Sometimes even sacred texts provoke irreverent jokes.
The flurry of statements you noted above seem like title to essay in a philosophy course – not what I would consider snippets of inspiration – they are to closed. It is almost like the song would be over before it starts.
I think in complete sentences which are fully formed. This is just the way that I am or more accurately, the way I have become.
Try the similes and metaphors game. Love is like a Hong Kong Taxi (fill in the gap). . . red and badly driven! Dive in and celebrate clique, absurdity and humour that you can come up with and don’t go all ancient texts in your comparisons – keep it in the world your listener inhabits. Do you keep a note book or have a digital recorder – sometimes recording randomly then reviewing laterally joins ideas and create unique combination.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do this.
I think however you may be ‘wordbound’ – try to access your lyrics in less structured ways - let visual art wash over you (books of pictures or TV channel hopping) then just respond to what you see, write commentary or just emotions. I think you misinterpreted my previous post when you claimed that having the idea wasn’t the problem – I agree, the problem IMHOit is how you value those initial ideas and respond to shape them that is the next step - supend your judgement.
Thanks, you have nailed me. I am ‘wordbound’. I don’t think in terms of visual images. It is not that visual images have not had an impact upon me. The image of children killed by cluster bombs created by my own country and mothers identifying their children’s remains in the emergency room are permanently branded in my memory. But images of children’s smiling faces and sounds of their laughter inhabit their rooms too.
A few times great paintings have profoundly moved me. However, the message I received was probably not intended by the artist. I’ll never forget my experience of Marc Chagall’s The White Crucifixion. I sat before it for hours until the Chicago museum of modern art finally closed. The ONE spoke to me through it.
Movies can touch me too.

Don’t worry about rhyming – just remove the front consonant from the vowel and end consonant, that you wish to rhyme with, then run all the letters of the alphabet in front. (e.g. Dog – og; aog, bog, cog, eog, fog, etc.). List the words that have potential then build rhyming lines towards the end word and see which one you like best. Hell you speak several languages you’d have more rhyming words then any of us.
If you feel you lack rhythm/musicallity then post some lyrics or even lyric ideas up for collaboration with a muso. I'm happy to help out.
I may take you up on your offer.
As the greatest sage of all says ‘Don’t think do’ -Yoda
I will work on this as my jobs allow.
HTH Burt

1ply said:
I will work on this as my jobs allow.

I look forward to reading something from you. You express youself very well, and have a distinctive voice. I am truly interested to see your work when you are ready.

1ply said:
A few times great paintings have profoundly moved me. However, the message I received was probably not intended by the artist.

Yes! I think the same is true of songs - sometimes the message the listener takes is so much more than you consciously intended when you wrote it, and sometimes the main message doesn't strike home at all (and sometimes, both things happen).

We can't control that, because a song is a form of communication that requires the input of the listener as much as those who deliver it into the world. They are our babies, but they have lives of their own and the pleasure of creation is enough.

I have found many people on this forum very helpful. I hope that you do too :)

I’m with Freddy – I hope you job affords you the opportunity to write much, as I am sure we will all be the better for it

Back