Help me treat my room please!

punkrocker

Ok so I want to treat a room for my recordings. I have two to choose from. I will be recording acoustic guitar and electric guitar. I will be close micing my 4x12 cab so I'm assuming that the acoustics for the acoustic guitar (no pun intended) will be more important. The two rooms are a large bonus room over the garage and my bedroom. I will probably be recording vocals into my closet and make a fortress like thing with pillows and blankets. I would like to keep costs under $150 or so unless it is a very noticeable improvement. I really know very little about this so any help is really appreciated! Looking for advice as to what to buy and where to put it. Here are some pics (sorry for the messiness):

Attachments

• IMGP1551.jpg
    IMGP1551.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMGP1552.jpg
    IMGP1552.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMGP1556.jpg
    IMGP1556.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMGP1558.jpg
    IMGP1558.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 89
Room treatment is a deep subject, and a complete answer requires far more than will fit into a single reply here. So here's the short version which will get you 99 percent of the way there. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further. You simply cannot have too much bass trapping. Real bass trapping, that is - thin foam and thin fiberglass don't work to a low enough frequency.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective. Diffusion on the rear wall behind you is also useful in larger rooms.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

There's a lot of additional non-sales technical information on my company's web site - articles, videos, test tones and other downloads, and much more.

--Ethan

The bigger room gives you many more options. On the other hand, with the very limited budget, it will be more difficult to get under control.

Bryan

What do you guys think of a tiled bathroom for acoustic guitar? Also if I'm only close micing a cab does it matter what room I'm in?

Yes - it still matters though the bedroom would likely be good enough and easier to treat given the limited budget.

No way would I use a bathroom.

Bryan

Back