Help me reach my dreams? Good low latency audio interface for midi/usb keyboard input

crewxp

Hey!

I want to start composing/recording some of the things I come up with on my piano. I have a cheap Yamaha YPT-400 Keyboard I got for $100 at BestBuy. It has a usb MIDI out. I've tried recording some things to Fl Studio and Cubase 5(Academic Version), but there's a big delay when I press the note and when the EastWest VST plays the sound.

I want to mainly record piano and also some orchestra pieces using EastWest's Platinum PLAY Orchestra pack I bought. (I like Epic Music :P) It kind of sucks I can't really use it yet until I get a setup.

Software-wise, I've tried switching to the Asio4Allv2 driver, but sometimes it can't access my audiocard's output (It's in use). I use the directX ASIO Full Duplex driver right now, but I can't get the buffer lower than 512, so there's still a noticable lag. There's also a General ASIO Low Latency driver, but it doesn't seem as loud as the other ASIO drivers. Seems like it only comes out of one speaker. It doesn't give me the 'punch' I want!

Also, When I try to set the latency low sometimes using software-side ASIO drivers, sometimes I hear a cracking sound. If I set it high, it lags. It's like it's not meant to be :/

Anyways, do you guys have any recommendations for me? Most people I've read about recommend using the sound card's ASIO driver, but mine doesn't have one.

I really just want a good quality, low latency, audio interface that accepts midi. Preferably with more than 1 usb midi input. Im thinking about buying a second midi piano, because my piano can't seem to output more than 1 midi channel (Although it says 16 channel midi in the manual). I would like to play the Double bass with my left hand, and play the violins right my right, but I don't think that's possible.

Thanks guys!! Hopefully once I get setup, I'll be able to finally record some of the epic things I come up with and post them online, eventually maybe earn money from them :P

For years I've never been able to get past the hardware stage!!

My Setup:
[Computer]
Intel i7 980-X CPU on a Rampage II Extreme Motherboard.
12GB DDR3 Partiot Extreme Ram
Onboard Audio :(, X-Fi Xtreme Audio Dumbed Down (SoundMax). No ASIO support.

[Software/Misc]
FlStudio (Trial)
Cubase 5 (Academic Version with Dongle)
EastWest Qualtum Leap Platinum PLAY Edition
Alicia Keys Piano VST
Yamaha YPT-400 USB Midi Piano/Keyboard
TonePort UX2 (Bought for Mic input).

Quick question... why aren't you using the Toneport instead of the Soundmax?

My Toneport can? Awesome!

Wow, any suggestions as to how to make that happen?

I just went and tried to set my audio driver in Cubase to TonePort UX2 instead of ASIO4allv2 and Directx's ASIO, but stupid me... I can't hear anything. ASio4all and Directx allowed me to set my SoundMax audio card as the output, but toneport doesn't show any option for that. It says just Output 1 and 2, which I think are the physical outputs on the Toneport. To hear what I'm playing, I have to hook headphones up to my toneport maybe?

My piano's midi is through USB, so that's hooked straight up to my computer. Since I'm not hookinng the usb into the TonePort itself (toneport doesnt accept midi I think? Except for footpedals), will it still work?

Anyways, maybe I'm just picturing or setting this up wrong. So you're saying the Toneport will allow me to use it's driver for my midi, low latency, and still allow me to hear what I'm playing?

Thanks!! Sry, if this sounds dumb. That's why I'm asking!

Here's a pic of my settings to make it easier:
https://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9439/screenysk. jpg

Okay, seems like I'm not thinking outside the box enough. It just hit me.

If I use my Toneport, I'll have to hook some sort of headphones up to my Toneport's output physically, correct?

A little different, but I see no downside.

ps: any good headphone recommendations?

You need to forget all about your internal soundcard and use the Toneport for i/o. Hook your speakers up to outputs 1 and 2 of the Toneport and you should be good to go...

sorry for the late reply. just got back from a trip.

Im kinda leaning towards a good midi controller now rather than a piano. No need to waste money on something I dont need. Dont really care on hammer action. Always wanted a hammer PIANO, but afaik, midi controllers are easier to make music using light keys (am i right?)

Anyways, my budget is about $400, as im just starting out. Ive been looking at the m-audio keystation pro (bc it has volume knobs/sliders and is 88key), CME Keyboards (UF series), Novation (no clue), Fatar (no clue either), and M-audio Axiom keyboards. Haven't looked into Roland and Korg but those have been recommended. Really need a 88 key though.

I live in a college town, so there arent many music stores near me, the ones Ive been to, they have to special order what I want at a higher price than online has. So I cant test any of the keyboards. I have to go purely off recommendations.

:(

What would you guys get/suggest?

Okay, ive finally saved up $400 to spend on a good midi controller.

I went to my closest store that pianos on display today... Best Buy. I tried out what a hammer-action keyboard felt like and I dont think its for me. It'll be hard to play the fast paced violin samples I come up with in my head. so I've decided on semi-weighted or less. Preferably more than 61-keys, but if I have to get 61, then I'll probably purchase a mixer/midi controller that has knobs/sliders so I can control my vst better.

Do you guys that have 61-keys ever feel like you dont have enough room to play? Any semi-weighted or less recommendations? Right now I have my eyes set on the Axiom (with it had more keys :/), but am looking for more.

Your recommendations help me a lot! It points me in the right direction as to where to look. Im going to force myself to make a decision and finally purchase one tomorrow!

I think I've finally narrowed it down.

I'm going to get two. Probably a 81se (for the full 88 keys), and also a Axiom 61 (unsure the difference b/w pro and regular). The Axiom along with the 88se because it looks highly configurable and has after-touch! I think thats probably something essential, right?

If not that, I'm looking into CME's UF70 or UF7 and CME's VX-7 (havent read anything at all about this. But its a midi controller, not hammer, has knobs, and 70 something keys is perfect for me)

How do my decisions look? The only thing im unsure of is pro vs regular axiom, and what VX-7's features are.

Back