help me re-think my gear....

Ding Dong

Im just posting this for advice. I think this is the best forum on this site and Id like to hear your opinions.

I have a TSR 8 and Im thinking about selling it and getting a four track reel to reel. I want to downsize my recording gear so its more portable. I have been using a 16 channel mixwizard which I could sell and get something smaller (i like to have twice as many mixer channels as tracks, so I dont have to push any buttons to monitor recorded tracks) I could probably get about $900 for the mixer and $400-500 for the recorder (its missing a foot and has a loose "thing") .

here's the ugly part. With $1500 I could get a good 8 channel mixer, a four track reel to reel, and (here it comes) Pro tools. Needless to say, I am very conflicted about this. I don't have a lot of space and portability is a key issue for me. But I am unwilling to completely abandon analog, because I love it. Im not sure exactly what my question is- just what you guys think i should do. I dont know much about 4 track reel to reels either.

am I going to regret this?

thanks in advance,
Mike

I say keep the TSR but dump the Mixwizard. Try finding on of the older Tascam boards, like a 12 channel, that is meant for recording, and make sure you have it hooked up for such use.

For instance, if you use direct outs, have all the direct outs going to the recorder, then monitor the board from the tape ins. If you do it that way, you won't have to push any buttons or switch anything until you mix down.

I think it's worth holding onto the TSR. You know it works, and you never know what problems you're going to run into with a new (old) deck. Further, 1/2" tape isn't all that much more than 1/2" tape and you never know when you'll need the extra tracks. Lastly, a 1/4" 4 track machine isn't all that much smaller than a 1/2" 8 track, so portability won't change by much.

If you're looking for portable and cheap, maybe consider getting on of the Tascam Portastudios, such as the 424. Or, maybe the Tascam 388 may be a good unit for you, as it runs on 1/4" tape, has the built in mixer, and still has 8 tracks.

Best wishes on your quest,
-MD

Ding Dong said:
With $1500 I could get a good 8 channel mixer, a four track reel to reel, and (here it comes) Pro tools.
Mike,
couple(hmmm...-few :)) questions here:
1. What exactly kind of recording/production work your are planning to set your 'portable studio' for? (I mean, recording what (a band, your-self, sounds of nature???)? Recording where? etc.... Why do you want to have 'everything smaller' ?)
2. Why only 8-chnls mixer? Is it all you may need ?
3. Let's say you've got 4-track reel-to-reel (I'd imagine it would be a one of TEAC machines , which is big and heavy (not smaller than tsr-8 :)). But if you have 4-track, then what you are planing to do with it/use for within your production process? This question also related to the first question (what, how and where you record and what for)
4. When you say: "...and (here it comes) Pro tools.", what kind of "Pro Tools" we are talking about here ? ;) (are you talking about something like THIS or some digidesign's software/hardware pack???) I'm not sure how did you squeezed 4tr r-t-r a nice mixer and "some kinda pro tools" into $1.5k. Also I'm asking this ...so to know what your computer recording set-up is going to be like (according to your plan) ...and is it going to be something like main recording/production part of your setup, while analog mixer and r-t-r machine would take a role of being something like "special tasks" devices?

again , I'm asking these questions, so guys know what is it all about, instead of just imagining something and trying to give you sort of "advice" based on nothing more than just their imagination and general preferences ...sort of :)
/respects

There really isn't any portable RTR machines. Plus with a mixer its even less so. Even a 388 isn't portable. The only thing I can think of is to get a 4 track with mic inputs and just plug mics in direct and monitor with headphones. But even that, lugging around a 4 track won't be that simple & it sounds like you need a mixer so it depends on what exactly your recording.

My reason for this change of plans is from a solo recording session I had the other day. I was recording the drum tracks for a solo album I was making. I live on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator. I had to lug all my drums, my mixer, stands, mics, cables, and the 90lb 8-track down to the car, load them, drive, unload them, set up, record drums for 3 hours, break down, load up, drive, unload and then carry all that stuff back up three flights of stairs by myself (exhausted at that point). Then I plugged everything in, and listened, and the recording sounded like shit. There was a layer of magnetic material collecting on my tape heads, and one of my tension rollers, (the one on the left) fell off causing the tape to roll over a little screw sticking out.

It was at this point that I started to considered getting different gear. But i think a lot of it is not my equiptment's fault, rather where I live. I can't record drums here, and theres no elevator. When I move 6 months from now, things might be a different story. Also, the idea of buying new gear is very exciting. I have also always wished I had a tascam 38 instead of a TSR8. Maybe going to four tracks is a little extream.

I like the suggestion about the mixer. I love the mix wizard, but I could probobly use something smaller. How much more work is it to use just an 8 channel mixer with 8 tracks of recording? I just dont want to have to plug and unplug things all the time.

Last edited:
Back