Help me Rack People!

nezpierce

Hey all.

I posted this to microphones cuz I am concerned about the preamps but I do also have questions about overall quality so I hope this is ok:

Well I was all set to pick up a Mackie 1202VLZPRO until this sneaky little Carvin catalog showed up.

They have a mixer called the SM162
http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isear...&P2=SM162&P1=MX

This is about $100 bucks cheaper and has 8 preamp channels vs. the Mackie's four.

BUT (everyone's got a big but)

Has anyone EVER used Carvin stuff? Is it crap?

thanks,

nP

Carvin's not bad gear, it's more live sound oriented than recording. If you were going for the pre amps, IMHO, I'd opt for the Mackie.

For only a $100 more I'd go with the Mackie--they are a known commodity and many people feel they have a very decent sound. The Carvin, well you are taking your chances. I don't think the SM162 specs out well compared to the Mackies either (THD, EIN, Dynamic Range, Preamp gain). Also, If you ever decide to sell it the Mackie will hold its value better than the Carvin.

I'd go Mackie all the way....I doubt Carvin nearly as cool and either way, resale value on a Mackie is going to be MUCH higher than Carvin, guarunteed.

I've not seen a lot of carvin stuff....I've heard som PA heads and Bass amps and have always thought of them the way many view Behringer...just kind of making the poor man's "everything."

Just my small obsevation....:cool:

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

I was recently in the market for a board. One of the companies I looked at was Carvin because, somehow, thier sneaky little catalogue showed up at my door as well. After viewing thier site, I called to speak to them about thier product, prices, etc., The person who answered the phone acted like he could not be bothered to talk to me, was condecending, and basically rude. I figure, if they can act that way towards a potential customer, once you have actually purchased something, they maight summarily ignore you point blank. Just my littel experience with Carvin.

OH, and BTW, I ended up with a MACKIE 24-8. So far, so good. I am quite pleased though I would not be considered a seasoned pro when it comes to recording. I am more of a musician just learning the art of recording or, to be more accurate and consistent with site location "Home Recording".

Back