Help Me Pick an E-Kit

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys. I really want to play drums and I don't really have good rooms in my house, mics, or volume to deal with. I figured an electronic kit would hold me over. Are there any kits I can get WITHOUT a module that I can still hook up to my interface via MIDI?

Someone might respond with greater authority, but i strongly doubt it.

The 'drums' use piezo (i think) sensors to send analog signals to the module.
The module converts these signals into midi information.

Without the module, your drum patterns aren't converted into velocity/pitch/duration etc.

Someone might respond with greater authority, but i strongly doubt it.

The 'drums' use piezo (i think) sensors to send analog signals to the module.
The module converts these signals into midi information.

Without the module, your drum patterns aren't converted into velocity/pitch/duration etc.

Ohh I see. I have no experience with modules and junk, but basically I just want drum pads to connect to my Tascam US-800 interface to trigger drum software. I assumed the module was something that produced drum sounds. I prefer the software over the module sounds, so I figured I can get away with not using one. Apparently so, I need it to send MIDI. That's not a problem per-se. However, I would like to get the cheapest one possible (who wouldn't?) I'd prefer it to be sub $700 for the drum kit and module. That is, unless I can get an e-kit and a module separately.... Any help guys? :D

I've been out of the electric loop for a number of years now, but I used to have the Roland TD6. I wanted something a little more realistic so I bought the mesh head snare for rimshots, cross~sticking, brush work and general playability for my drumming pals. I also got a TD10 module because it had 8 individual outs. None of the others at that time seemed to.

How do you guys find the hi hat control?

A friend rigged his td-8 up at my place and we used addictive drums.

He said the whole experience was perfectly acceptable as a recording alternative, but the hi hat control sucked.

He found it to be pretty much boolean and had difficulty getting it to sizzle.

How do you guys find the hi hat control?

A friend rigged his td-8 up at my place and we used addictive drums.

He said the whole experience was perfectly acceptable as a recording alternative, but the hi hat control sucked.

He found it to be pretty much boolean and had difficulty getting it to sizzle.

I'm not a drummer, but know and regularly see the drum tech (and actually the new replacement for Jon for the upcoming tour since he got kicked out) for Staind and had him come over and give me an opinion on it. He likes it a lot, so that was good enough for me.

I don't know enough to have a true opinion on it, I would love a variable control type setup, but open and close is ok with me since I can set how open it goes to. He is currently using some sort of Yammy e kit at his home so his setup is a little different but similar.

I guess I'll have to do some shopping around then. I would like to play some things and get a feel for what I want.

Yeah that is ultimately the way to do it, but I had played enough Roland kits when I bought mine to know it was what I wanted.

I would highly recommend any of the electronic kits by Yamaha. I use a Yamaha DTX500 for my own songs and it's always easy to use and play. You can get some great sounds out of it.

Back