Help me pick a microphone!

playsguitars

I have a need for two things, actually. My Focusrite unit decided that it's phantom section didn't want to be alive any more, and dumped me. Unfortunate, but I can still use it with DI Basses and Dynamically mic'ed guitars, so that's a plus. So, I was looking at a Presonus Studio Channel because of the price range. Has anyone had experience with this channel strip? Any other channel strips in the 300-400 range i should look at?

The other thing is I think i'm finally ready to step up to a nice condensor. I have an AKG Perception 200 that has been faithful since I bought it, but it lacks a certain warmth and personality that I now want. I was looking at the Rode NT-2a and the Rode NT1-A for my purchase. I want the NT2 because it just seemed to sound more transparent on their website. So the plan is to get the NT2a and the Studio Channel for my next purchase. Does this sound like a plan?

Thanks guys!

If you like the Focusrite pres, I'd probably suggest an Art Phantom II power supply. If you don't, then you can ignore that suggestion. :)

If you want a warm mic, then you don't want the NT2-A or the NT1-A. You probably don't want any mics by Røde, honestly---they tend towards the bright (some would even say harsh) end of the spectrum. That said, you're right that the NT2-A sounds a good bit better than the NT1-A.

For warm mics, I'd probably suggest a CAD M9. IMHO, it's a nice blend between the warmth of a tube and the crispness of a solid state mic. It uses a tube for the buffer amp and an op amp for the line driver stage (transformerless). You might also try the Trion 8000 (full tube design with transformer), though I've never tried it, so I can't comment on the sound.

your suggestion for the CAD is a nice one. though, i'm trying to spend up to $400 on a mic that's worth around that much. I just don't feel comfortable spending only $50 more than i paid for the AKG. I want a nice mic to round out my collection and for some reason, i think to myself "if you spend less than $300, you'll regret it. Get quality, buy once." But i have to stay under 400 bucks...I've always heard "You get what you pay for" in this industry. Anything else to suggest?
Tanks!

I just picked up an Audio-Technica AT4040 and I couldn't be happier. Threw it in front of an acoustic and it very faithfully recreated it. Sounded a bit boomy by the soundhole, but it has a low freq roll-off and that cleaned it right up. I haven't tried it on vocals yet, but I plan on trying it for that and as a room mic for drums. I've heard good things about the AT4047 as well, just didn't have the extra cash on hand.

Shure SM81. $350-ish MSRP. $200 - $250 used. If you're going for that sort of john denver-ish sound.

If I were to go LDC, I'd probably go AT4050 or 4060, or KSM 32 or 44. A little more general purpose and a definite step up from most. Some of the sE offerings are pretty good too. Although most of those are a tad past $400.

I know you're looking for a condenser, but if you don't have a Shure SM7b, you should consider it -- good resale value, I think, except that nobody ever sells them. Not so great on acoustic, but awesome for vocals or bass and stuff

I've been talking up the combination of a Presonus Eureka for a channel strip ($600), and a Studio Projects C-1 for a mic ($200). Best self-recorded vox I ever heard:

http://www.myspace.com/spiraltrance

I work with the singer, he produced both those tracks. The songs 'Dead Set' and 'Offering' were recorded thru that chain.

Back