Help me on builting a guitar on Warmoth !

Colwarter

After reading a lot about tones and everything, I decided to build my own stratocaster on warmoth.com! Do you guys think I'll have a great tone from it? I don't know which part of electronic to put on it, that's why I need help. I want a heavy sound that will fit perfectly with my mesa single rectifer. I'll take a mahogany body, a pearloid pickguard, and just one humbucker, an EMG 81. Other than this, I don't know what to add on it to have a heavy sound. I think I'll buy the neck on ebay, to have a real fender strat neck with the fender logo... so tell me what you think of it and if you can, give me suggestions! Thanks

Get your neck from either Warmoth or USA Custom. Their necks are a LOT nicer than anything else you can get.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Colwarter said:
After reading a lot about tones and everything, I decided to build my own stratocaster on warmoth.com! Do you guys think I'll have a great tone from it? I don't know which part of electronic to put on it, that's why I need help. I want a heavy sound that will fit perfectly with my mesa single rectifer. I'll take a mahogany body, a pearloid pickguard, and just one humbucker, an EMG 81. Other than this, I don't know what to add on it to have a heavy sound. I think I'll buy the neck on ebay, to have a real fender strat neck with the fender logo... so tell me what you think of it and if you can, give me suggestions! Thanks

YES!! you will have a great tone from it. DO NOT put a fender neck on it though,put a warmoth neck on it....far better than a fender neck.

i have a warmoth and it is amazing. mine is a mahogony body with a flame koa top and a 1/16 layer of graphite in between. get the layer of graphite. it gaives it a nice brightness.

it is a dinky body with a strat neck. for electronics i run an emg 81.

maskedman72 said:
YES!! you will have a great tone from it. DO NOT put a fender neck on it though,put a warmoth neck on it....far better than a fender neck.

i have a warmoth and it is amazing. mine is a mahogony body with a flame koa top and a 1/16 layer of graphite in between. get the layer of graphite. it gaives it a nice brightness.

it is a dinky body with a strat neck. for electronics i run an emg 81.

You can't GET new Fender necks anymore, unless you buy a guitar. A few months ago they stoped selling acessory necks, and they have even stoped selling the vast majority of "curtousy" necks, which are the necks for guys who already have Fender guitars. The only necks they are selling anymore are for people who have necks which are beyond repair, such as severe breaks, or guitars which have had enough refrets that the fingerboard is all but gone.

As for what wood gives the BEST tone, there is no such thing. They are, of course, different, but most of them are pretty good. Mahogany tends towards a strong fundimental, with lots of lower harmonics, a fairly week attack, and a "warm" sound. Ash tends to be brighter, with better upper harmonics, a strong attack, and amore agressive sound. Alder is punchy and bright, with a fairly even harmonic content.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Also consider . . .

You should also consider Guitar Parts, USA. Here is their website:
http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/

Very good quality stuff, and they are also licenced to provide replacement parts for Fender guitars. From what I understand, this company is (sort of) a spinoff from Warmoth.

Bassman

Bassman Brad said:
You should also consider Guitar Parts, USA. ...

From what I understand, this company is (sort of) a spinoff from Warmoth.

Bassman

No, USA Custom is the Warmoth spinoff.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Heck man, I can tell you one thing, for certain. Warmoth has some quality products, especially the custom guitars! An old friend of mine spent well over 3 grand building a custom guitar from Warmoth. I will say it plays better than anything I've had the opportunity to lay my hands on! Plus, it didn't look like anything else. People were always like, "Dude who makes that, it's so sweet!"

Good Luck, I would never be able to "build" my own guitar.....cause I don't know what I like! ;)

Two things about Warmouth:

1. Resale value is crap. Nobody wants to buy the guitar that somebody else built in thier living room and/or garage.

2. The necks are not ready to install. There is no nut, the fretwork has not been done, and a maple fretboard model will still have finish on the frets.

Other than that, nice stuff, with a ton of options.

ermghoti said:
Two things about Warmouth:

1. Resale value is crap. Nobody wants to buy the guitar that somebody else built in thier living room and/or garage.

Very true.

ermghoti said:
2. The necks are not ready to install. There is no nut, the fretwork has not been done, and a maple fretboard model will still have finish on the frets.

Other than that, nice stuff, with a ton of options.

Warmoth usually has exceptional fret work, and they are usually very good about getting all the finish off the frets, though not always. It's the cheap necks that all still have finish on the frets. They don't have a nut, true, but that is a realitively cheap thing to have made ($75 for the labor, and $8 for the material), and it is really a good idea to have it done when the guitar is together anyway.

I do have to say, we had a USA Custom neck in the shop the other day, and we were all VERY impressed. Very nice work, very nice indeed.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

ermghoti said:
I didn't consider either point to be a slam. The fact that the fretwork is unfinished, I took from their website. They don't do a level, scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=fretsize

According to the link, they never make any attempt to remove finish from frets, even as an add-on service. : shrugs :

Well, then they do a hell of a good job driving them, because I have seen MANY which are ready to go straight from the box. Now, that is possible, but it is very difficult to be that precise with your pressure when driving frets.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back