Help me mic a drum set w/ these mics please!

echomancer

I am going to be micing a drum kit soon for the very first time, and I have the following mics:

* Shure SM57 dynamic x2
* AKG C1000S condenser x2
* RØDE NT1 large diaphragm condenser
* RØDE NT1000 large diaphragm condenser x2
* Oktava MK012 condensor x2

I am assuming to use the Oktava's as overheads, an SM57 on each the snare and on the high hats, and the C1000s for the two high toms and one for the floor toms.

I suppose my biggest concern is the bass drum. Would my NT1 work?

The drum kit is snare, hi-hat, bass drum, two hi toms, floor tom, ride, and crash.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, the kick was the first thing I was scratching my head over too..... I think I'd go with the Oktava MK012 as overhaeds and a Shure SM57 on snare...... and then just try the Rode NT1, NT1000 and the other Shure SM57 on kick and just use the one that works the best. Also, sometimes the AKG C1000S's aren't too bad on toms.

You really need to invest in a kick mic.

I think I'd put one of the C-1000's on the snare and the other on the rack toms. I'd put a 57 inside the kick and one of the Rodes out in front of the kick about 3' or so about the height of the top of the kick drum. I'd put another Rode on the floor tom and the Octavas as overheads.

2 - Oktavas overhead left and right......

1 -sm57 on snare

2 -c1000's on toms

1- sm57 on kick inside

1- nt1 out in front of the kick (you dont wanna fuck up a good mic) in a tunnel

1- nt1000 room mic

if all that becomes one big cluster fuck, scale it back to 1-overhead and a kick..........

You're getting great advice from everyone on mic'ing the kit. All of those combos will work well and give you different sounds, one of which you may like and will be right for the music.
......but you're screwed on the kick drum. You CAN use the SM57 and you'll get an okay sound, but it won't be a powerful pounding resonance sound that most people want for kick drum. The SM57 is a great mic and capable of doing a ton of things, but that just isn't one of them. If you use a large diaphram condenser on kick drum, yes you need to back it off a bit, but also use a pop screen. Unless a mic is made for the kind of physical attack it gets from a kick drum, you need to protect it.
Go out and buy an inexpensive kick drum mic. You can always use it. Even the AT Pro 25 or the CAD KBM 412 will work and those can be had through GC or zZounds for $50. They're not as good as the AKG D112, Shure Beta 52, Audix D6 or ATM25,
but they will get the job done.
-Jeff

Also keep an eye on ebay.... I got a mint ATM25 for really cheap there.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I wish I had more immediate access to a real Kick mic, but unfortunately, I simply don't have the time.

I'm aware that the SM57 really isn't even designed to pick up my targeted frequencies for the bass drum, so, I'll have to go with the NT1 from far away and maybe compress the hell out of it while keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...

Back