Help me Learn!!

imacgreg

Hey,
I've been thinking (watch out...) but I have come to figuring out a couple of things:
1. Recording is something that I would like to persue as a career.
2. I won't Learn everything off this forum (although darn close)
3. If I'm not on this forum learning, what else should I be doing?

Basically, I need some ideas for how to learn recording by actually doing it. I have already told local high school bands (and through them some older/proffessional ones) that I will record their demo for free, and this has helped already, but what else can I do??

Thanks in advance,
Ian

build up some gear and start recording. It does not take a lot of money now to start. Doesn't matter how - start, practise, practise, train your ears.

Find some local studios, ask them if they need some part time help - so you can start hanging out, watching and learning. Make yourself usefull, make sure they know you want to learn. You'll be amazed how many pros will make time for someone with a genuine interest in the job.

Read - read lots, spend time in your local Borders and read all the mags. Mix, EQ, Sound-on-Sound, keyboard, surround professional, everything you can lay your eyes on.

Huber and Runstein's "modern recording techniques is a must have book, get someone to buy you a copy for christmas.

Its all about learning and preparedness to work - plus a dose of talent. Never forget, no matter how much talent you might have, you don't get anywhere without hard work

In addition to everything Sjoko said (which was spot-on!), keep in mind it's also real tough to make A LOT of money at this career!!!

(but it is an awful lot of fun....!) ;)

Bruce

It may not be the right way for you but I learned a hell of a lot from doing live sound, it's a less critical environment where you can afford to try new things without having your screw ups preserved for all eternity and you aren't on the 'studio clock'.

Ok, that's good to hear, it is kind of what I've been doing. I have a question for sjoko2: Are there many studios in Santa barbera? I'm thinking about going to UCSB soon. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

The answer is yes, there are. About 8 or so "public" studios of various shapes and sizes, and a load more "private" ones. In this place, the "private" ones are the best ones :)
Just contact me when you get to UCSB, get yourself over here when you're settled in, and then spend a couple of hours a week here helping out to start "learning the ropes"

;) Watch out for UCSB - the place is so friggin nice you'll never want to leave again

Wanna Learn

Imacgreg...If I could offer any advice it would be this...and I know all the techies out are liable to disagree but hey, that's what makes us unique.
If you can possibly get your hands on an old 4 track or 8 track reel to reel, "yeah you heard me right"..You'd be amazed at how much you'd grasp with regards to the concept of multitracking, how it works, why it works, and the simplicity which todays computer techies haven't necessarily experienced. As you've probably guessed I'm from the "old school", started doing what I love doing over 35 years ago.
I've gone digital now of course, but I have stayed away from letting computers take over the work. I find it's too easy to create the PERFECT mix when you let a program do it for you.
Read up on the concepts and ideas behind multitrack recording.
Read up on recording terminology, so you're not overwhelmed with stuff you've never heard of, but a lot of us take for granted.
Contact those in the business, sure they might charge you for an hour or so of their time..."personally I wouldn't"...but some might look positively at having their brains picked. Hey...can't hurt to ask...right!!
Trial and error is a terrific learning tool. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Good Luck in your endeavours.
http://sh-boom.freehomepage.com/index.html

Thanks again for all the help, I do wish I could find a good 4 or 8 track analog machine, but I'm pretty strapped for cash (who isn't..). Sjoko2: Anyway as far as UCSB I'm torn between San Diego and Santa Barbera, do you actually have one of the private studios? Website?

Thanks,
Ian

Synchronicity

Sjoko, I lived in a dump(we called it "the crack house") on Mission St. in Santa Barbara for one month(March) each year in both '98 and '99. To kill time, I used to go to the Borders on that main road leading down to the beach. Who knows, we may have run across each other.

I used to ride my bike through campus almost every day. Imacgreg, Santa Barbara's veerrrry nice.

I second old guy's comments. Get a used 4 track and a couple of cheap mics and experiment. Mic positioning is the most important thing to learn because it all goes downhill from there. :D Read some books about theory. Make sure that they are mindnumbingly boring and technical. They will actually pay-off when you least expect it. I worked at a radio station that recorded classical concerts and jazz gigs and my mind was blown for the first 2 months until I realized that spaced omni's have their place in recording. Get yourself a free subscription to TapeOp. In my opinion it's one of the best recording mags around whether you're a pro or just starting out. And good luck.

Back