Help me help my tele...

wx3

Hey guys,

I have a GL ASAT Classic with a ducan humbucker in the bridge(not sure which one).

Problem #1
When I switch to the bridge pickup I still get a bit of a buzz. The buzz disapears completely when I touch either my volume or my tone knob. Obviously something needs to be grounded right? Does any one know how to solve this?

Problem #2
When I do full note bends on the high e string around the 12th fret or higher often the string suddently mutes itself. It's not my technique, it only happpens with this guitar. Is this something to do with the nut?

Besides these problems, this is the best guitar I've ever played or heard. G L over new Fender any day.

Thanks alot.

Hey guys,

I have a GL ASAT Classic with a ducan humbucker in the bridge(not sure which one).

Problem #1
When I switch to the bridge pickup I still get a bit of a buzz. The buzz disapears completely when I touch either my volume or my tone knob. Obviously something needs to be grounded right? Does any one know how to solve this?

Problem #2
When I do full note bends on the high e string around the 12th fret or higher often the string suddently mutes itself. It's not my technique, it only happpens with this guitar. Is this something to do with the nut?

Besides these problems, this is the best guitar I've ever played or heard. G L over new Fender any day.

Thanks alot.

1) Yeah, grounding issue, problem with all teles. They just seem to come that way. I don't knwo what you'd have to solder to fix it, but the buzz will go away if you touch the strings also.

2) sounds like it might be a problem with the action if the bend is choking out. Hard to say where it's being caused, might be the nut or a high fret somewhere.

Problem #2

Thanks alot.
Nothing to do with the nut. If you think about it as far as buzzing and choking is concerned as soon as you fret a note the nut is pretty much out of the equation except in extreme cases. The string is vibrating from the fret to the saddle.

Your problem is more likely one to do with fret dressing and the radius of the fingerboard. as you push the string up it chokes on the frets somewhere further on. To fix it you'll need to get the frets dressed in the area that it's choking to allow the string to vibrate freely. The further up the neck you go the less effect the truss rod has. In severe cases you may need to adjust the neck angle a bit as well.

Back