Help me get started?

jeffteel

I'm looking into doing some digital recording with my PC. Really, I just want to noodle around a bit for fun. I'm looking at a couple of nice soundcards with breakout boxes, and I'll get a decent Mic for miking my guitar amps. I basically want to figure out what else I'll need. I'm looking at the Echo Darla24 or Gina24, which both come with Cool Edit Pro SE (I think SE means that they're leaving a bunch of stuff out). I'm new to all of this. I'll be recording one track at a time for now. Do I need a mic preamp or a mixer, or can the software/hardware do all of that? Does this Cool Edit Pro give me the ability to lay down any kind of drum tracks at all? If not, what can I get to lay down some simple rythms? Basically, tell me everything that I MUST have, and anything else that would be a nice addition. Thanks a million!

If you want to mic your amps, you certainly will need a mic preamp. You might consider one of the products that have mic preamps built in -- the Aardvark DirectPro line, the Echo Mona, the SeaSound SoloEX, Digidesign Digi001, and the M Audio Delta 44 or 66 bundled w/ the OMNI I/O front end. You can also make do with a mic pre like the ART Tube MP or Presonus Blue Tube, or a small mixer with mic pres like a Behringer Eurorack or Mackie.

I don't think CoolEdit Pro has any tools for creating drum tracks... not sure, though. You can use loops, of course...

So the Delta 44/66 have preamps built in? I was checking their web site out, and the specs don't mention anything about this. It does say "signal level" inputs...does this infer preamps?

you'll be fine with ce, find drum software that shouldn't be to hard no? don't know bout the delta but if you can afford a aardvark direct pro... that 'ld great.

guhlenn

ps that would mean you only need a mic and to cables and you can record (in case of buying the direct pro)

No, the Delta 44/66 do not have preamps; that's why I said the "Delta 44 or 66 bundled w/ the OMNI I/O front end." The OMNI i/O is where the preamps are. They have it a package with the Delta 66 and this preamp/mixer box called the OMNI Studio.

Back