Help me fix a Marshall

kristian

Valvestate 8100 like the one in the photo I attached. I've been in the process of trying to get rid of my redundant gear for the past few months and now it has come time to get this thing in order. It works perfectly fine but almost all of the nobs are scratchy to the point of not letting the head make any sound. Eg. Master volume 3 makes sound, start moving up and the thing doesn't make a peep until you get to 7 and my ears were instantaneously destroyed. What is the cause of this and how can I fix it? I haven't decided to see if it is a handy little head or if it will go the way of craigslist yet. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• marsh-100v-8100.jpg
    marsh-100v-8100.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 51
go to radio shack and buy tuner cleaner, or guitar center has pro-gold in stock most of the time...

Open up the head and spray the cleaner/lubricant inside each of the potentiometers... twisting the knobs (0-10 many times, fairly quickly) as you spray them out. This should fix you up.... if not the pots are likely shot and thats a whole different ballgame.

If the cleaning doesn't work out, let me know and I'll walk you through the next stuff to check.

-Pete

Good call, unplug the amp first. :eek: Watch out though, that stuff can stain plastic chrome parts. You might want to pull the faceplate off and get the amp well away from the box and pretty stuff. Wash the pots down with the contact cleaner and as zoso59brst says, vigorously move the controls back and forth.

Back in the day, we used to use trichloroflorothane (spelling :confused:) "big-bath". Worked like a charm but it's environmentally harsh. I see it on parts shelves from time to time. If you can find it snag it up! Has a dark green label on it (ironic). If that doesn't work, (your main volume pot sounds suspect), you might be looking at replacing a pot or two.

Thanks!

quick reply has to be at least 10 charactes apparently so this sentence is just space filler. :)

Yeah, unplug the amp, but also be EXTREMELY careful not to touch anything inside the chassis. There are things in there that can potentially kill you, even if there is no power going through it. Or else, learn how to drain the caps before you start messing around in there.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

so there's ANOTHER zoso here? and from NJ? HAVE AT YOU!

haha sorry...no but those valvestates are pretty bad, i agree...my combo does that a bit too, but I never got around to fixing her..

so there's ANOTHER zoso here? and from NJ? HAVE AT YOU!

haha sorry...no but those valvestates are pretty bad, i agree...my combo does that a bit too, but I never got around to fixing her..

:eek: yeah man, thats pretty weird.... do you have the other half of this amulet?!!!

...and you should give her a proper burial at sea... the valvestate that is... Also, the best way to drain the caps is with your tongue, alligator clip optional ;)
(no.. don't do that- really)

Last edited:
Back