help me find a mixer

nosignal

i was wondering if anyone could help me by suggesting some mixers that are pretty cheap with at least 8 inputs and direct outputs, i would like to use it for recording, thanks to anyone who can help.

If all you need to use for are the preamps, and you don't need the best mixing, summing, or EQ capabilities ... then I'd say go for a Mackie VLZ Pro 8-channel. Those will run pretty cheap, the pres aren't bad, and you can use the inserts as direct outs.

I asked this over in the newbie section if you wanna check that thread out.

In answer, yes - but it will take a bit of cable re-soldering or you won't hear anything because an insert needs a return signal. Check the aforementioned thread for more info!

Elton Bear said:
In answer, yes - but it will take a bit of cable re-soldering or you won't hear anything because an insert needs a return signal. Check the aforementioned thread for more info!
True only if you throw the plug in all the way to two clicks.

The way to use an insert jack as a direct out is to plug the cable in only one click. This taps the signal out the back without interrupting the internal channel signal. No soldering required. No danger or damage to any gear or any signal.

This is such a common trick as to even be included in many mixer owner's manuals. But it'll work anywhere.

G.

okay one more huge question, im pretty new to this mixer interface recording world, i dont even have an interface, but i was wondering if someone could do me a huge favor and explain or help me figure out how to record with a mixer. here is what i know, i know(at least im pretty sure that this is how it works) that if you have a mixer with direct outs on each channel you can plug the direct outs into the input of the interface and then you get separate recording tracks for each input used, now what i want to know is if thats the only way to get individual recording tracks for each channel on a mixer, i read somewhere that if a mixer connects to a computer via usb or firewire you get separate recording tracks for each channel but i haven't a clue weather or not that is true.

somebody please help and to whoever who can and does thank you so very very much.

nosignal said:
okay one more huge question, im pretty new to this mixer interface recording world, i dont even have an interface, but i was wondering if someone could do me a huge favor and explain or help me figure out how to record with a mixer. here is what i know, i know(at least im pretty sure that this is how it works) that if you have a mixer with direct outs on each channel you can plug the direct outs into the input of the interface and then you get separate recording tracks for each input used, now what i want to know is if thats the only way to get individual recording tracks for each channel on a mixer, i read somewhere that if a mixer connects to a computer via usb or firewire you get separate recording tracks for each channel but i haven't a clue weather or not that is true.

somebody please help and to whoever who can and does thank you so very very much.
whatup sig. what chess was saying is when using the insert point on a mixer, it becomes a direct out, thus giving you a clean independant recording of whatever channel you're tapping the insert of. there is really only one major difference between doing it this way and having dedicated direct outs (and it depends on the board in most cases). a dedicated "direct out" will give you pre or post fader signal (again depending on the mixer) of the channel you are tracking (auxiliaries, insert patches, and eq included....depending on the mixer lol). using an insert point as a direct out most of the time (uh....depending on the mixer) will only give you that channel's mic preamp past the trim/gain pot and nothing else. so basicly using a mixer's insert points to record is just like having a bank of mic preamps, while using direct outs is similar but you have much more versatilty.

oh yeah.....and that all depends on the mixer. rofl

now as far as usb and firewire mixers are concerned, yes you can record independant tracks using an interface like that, however, thats kind of a new toy, and in my opinion really isnt the preffered method. and your really limited because basicly the "interface" in those things are the equivilant to direct outs (NO EQ, INSERTS, AUX, NOTHIN). the mackie onyx boards i believe were the first to do it this way (in a mixer format at least). there are tons of options. alesis and the b word company also make pretty pathetic ripoffs of this same ordeal....but hey alesis aint all bad....i track vocals, bass, and occasionally master through a 3630. WHOOPSS!!! shhhh.....dont tell the purists, ill get banned from here. lol

what it all boils down to is what your end goal is and what you want to/are willing to spend/do to get there. you want clean, unprocessed tracks going in and mix in the box? or do you plan on later running back out to a board and mixing in the analaog realm. if thats the case, a mixer and a good interface/set of of converters would be the way to go, but if your planning on doing things in the box and your just starting to get into this nightmare business of making records then you dont to do it this way because itll just be a big pain in the ass/wallet. heh.

there are other firewire based products that are a better bang for the big IMHO. might i recommend the presonus firepod? 10 ins, 10 outs, 8 built in pres (decent at that), with 8 assignable independant outputs in case you want to go back out to analog later (plus you can chain up to 4 of them together for all kinds of crazy shit. haha. and it comes with a copy of cubase le too. $700 if you look around. thats what im using right now because im a broke ass working out of a 10x30 foot storage unit downtown. lol that doesnt mean you cant make good recordings. check out my myspace page if you want to hear some stuff ive done on my rig.

http://www.myspace.com/leclairmobilesound

hope my rambling helped you some......sleep now....session in few hours.

~the kid

that sure did help alot but i have one question, you said that if you got a mixer and an interface/set of converters, i thought that an interface would let you mix down your tracks in the computer?
thank you so much for your help

producerkid your songs sound great, i like them, good job!!

well an interface is a direct in/out of analog audio to/from the computer. some interfaces have preamps built in (the firepod) and some dont (m-audio delta 1010). standalone converters do the same type of thing but they usually output to a digital format like adat lightpipe or tdif or whatever. lol. with a standalone converter you usually have way more options and format versatility. however (theres always a catch), you will need some kind of digital input interface (like an adat lightpipe card) installed in the computer to make use of such a converter. how serious you are about recording will determine what you need to get. in the long run, a digital interface card and a set of converters will be the better way to go because of the versatility, quality, and the option to upgrade more efficiently but it will cost you a lot more depending on what you get.

its all a little confusing but hang in there. lol

~the kid

p.s. thanks for the compliments

*EDIT* whichever option you decide on, both will let you mix inside the box. its all just a matter of what fashion the audio comes in and out

Back