Help me find a mic for live use!

EZchair Pickin

Hey! I know that this forum is mostly for recording, but I don't know of anyplace else on the web that has this much knowledge and credibility. Anyways, I sing a lot of backup harmonies and my current mic, a Sampson S12, just isn't cutting it for me.

What I'd like is recommendations for a mic that is very feedback resistant, super or hypercardoid I think? I also want good proximity effect and higher output so that I can lean into the mic when singing the high notes so that I don't have to push myself so hard. An on/off switch would certainly be nice, and most of all, I'd like it to sound good for a male voice that is in the mid to upper registers....think bluegrass and county. No ribbon or condensor mics and I'd like to stay at or below $250....although if there is something that is clearly a better choice above that amount, I certainly would consider it.

Thanks!
:)

Its a condenser, but I always recommend the Sennheiser e865 for live use. I don't think you can get it switched (the ones I've had didn't have switches), but I can vouch for them sounding good and having a good tight pickup pattern.

We use Shure Beta 58a's. Excellent gain before feedback, good on vocals, and built like a tank. Industry standard, and workhorse. Moderately priced around $150.

A number of my friends who perform regularly have ditched their SM58s for the OM6 after trying out a number of different dynamic and condenser performing mics. They really like it. I think it sounds substantially better than the 58.

IMHO you'd be very happy with an Electo-Voice RE16.

As you may know, it's also the same vocal mic Elvis used on his "Comeback Special".
Very similar sounding to the RE15, just a slight presence peak compared to the 58.

It has the "Variable-D" design though to minimize proximity effect ala the RE20.
Proven for "rootsy" material, however, like you're singing-very smooth.

Chris

+1 Shure Beta 58's, higher output better off axis rejection because of the hypercardiod pattern
I wouldnt recommend condensers live unless you have a nice big stage space

An update:

I went to my local music stores to see what they had....which wasn't much and no where to demo the mics. If I had wanted a SM58, I'd have been all set. :rolleyes:

Anyways, after do a lot of interweb reseach I ordered the ND767a. I first compared it to my S12 and found the 767a to have much more clarity, volume and a richer sound. Next, I compared it to my SM57 which was the most shocking. The 57 was, for lack of a better word, muddy and lacking in overall sound quality not to mention the big difference in volume compared to the 767a.

The real test came at the first practice. The new mic not only cut through and sounded so much better, I was actually able to use the proximity effect and added gain to my benefit. I did not have to push my voice anywhere near as hard as I did before. I could simply lean more into the mic and let it do the work when I needed it to. The mic gave me richer vocals, better cut and eliminated having to push to get higher notes to be heard. For $129, I certainly feel like I got my money's worth and then some. :)

Back