help me f-up(mod) this mic

wesley tanner

hey all, much love and such.

I have a MXL 2001 that I got my sophmore year in HS as a gift... it's been out of order for a while now, and since I have a decent locker that does NOT need this cheap chinease crap in it, it has been largely forgotten.

I WANT TO MESS WITH IT.

as it is, it will turn on when it first recieves phantom power, and for about 3 seconds, sounds perfect. then the sound cuts out, and will occasionally come back in (never at full quality, though) or there will be a very low signal present with a lot of distorted rumblinz going on as well.

is it worth it to try to repair it, or are there any simple/cheapish mods that I can do that would get this puppy to be a workin' mic again? I've opened it up and searched it throughly for anything messed up, there's not a single unclean solder, but I did find ONE transistor(?? maybe that's what it it) labeled R12 that had a bit of paint chipped off, so maybe it's damaged.

anyways, if there's anyone who has any reccomendations on a mod or a fix, lemmie know! I'm thinkin' i'm gonna try to make this mic work so I can leave it set up 100% of the time in one room so I can just click record when i have an idea...

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. maybe i'll turn into slipperman. i have been workin' 14 hour days and cursing like a fucking sailor lately.

wes

edit: did some more research and found the royer tube mod... anyone accomplish this one? rate of difficulty? any other mods possible/have been done by anyone here?

Last edited:
...I have mics with both the Royer mod and the Scott Dorsey mod...both are considerably better sounding than the OEM mic...the Dorsey mod is easier and much less costly to perform...check out the link below for details...I believe both Philgood and Flatpicker have performed a number of these mods, so you might want to IM them directly for more info...but either mod is well worth the effort...the 2001, once modded, could become one of your favorite mics (my Royer modded ADK A51 is my first choice for vocal tracking)...

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...music/shanghaimic.html+scott+dorsey+mod&hl=en

http://www.crodog.org/tubemic/tubemic.htm

Wes, since Mojave Audio isn't selling the Royer mod kits anymore, I have all the schematics, parts list and PCB layouts. Unfortunately I'm leaving for vacation and will be gone for a week. If you can wait I'll be happy to get you all the info. Send me a PM to remind me.

BTW, the Dorsey mod might be a better route cost-wise. The Royer mod will run you about $150, where the Dorsey mod costs about $20-$30. IMO, the Royer smokes the Dorsey, but the Dorsey mod is good too. Check the reported errors in the original schematic.

Phil

Last edited:
Technically, referring to Dorsey and Royer versions as "mods" is a little misleading - they are actually complete electronic re-builds.

PhilGood said:
...the Dorsey mod costs about $20-$30...
Last time I heard from Scott (3 months ago) he had a few boards left and they were going for $20ea. A FET from him is $5 and the resistors, caps, and other parts from Digikey will be close to $15 + the $5 surcharge for less than minimum orders, which brings it to $20 + shipping, so you are looking at closer to $50 minimum for parts.

However, if you can salvage the FET and the original 1G resistors, and don’t mind building it on proto-board, then you could do it for under $20 - $30

Flatpicker said:
Technically, referring to Dorsey and Royer versions as "mods" is a little misleading - they are actually complete electronic re-builds.

I went back to my post and crossed out the word 'mod' with a crayon and wrote 'kit'. Then, when I hit the scroll button I had to do it again. This went on and on...

Now my screen is all smudgy! :p

thanks for the help guys!

if royer isn't selling the kits anymore, I don't thin I can really go that route... I have no experience with PC boards and would prefer a more cut and dry kit.

is there any guess as to why the mic just plain ain't workin' how it's supposed to?

I don't know with out looking at it. Marik might be able to tell you, but he's pretty busy right now. Maybe if he sees this thread he'll pipe in. Or, you could just pm him.

it's soooo tempting to spend 160 and have that nice tube mic i keep a hearin' about... but with my luck i'll end up with $160 tube paperweight. maybe i can commishin my friend the electrical engineer.... hmmm

Back