Help me Ethan your my only hope.....

themdla

so i'm finally going to start treating my room and I’ve read a bunch of Ethan Winer's stuff over the last few years and several other articles.

I just want to get the most bang for the buck and I am trying decide which of the DIY treatments I’ve read about will provide the best absorption and frequency response numbers, comparatively.

Winers' "panel" traps seem cool and being a woodworker in a previous life it seems like a fun project unfortunately the space i'm treating is my bedroom.

so more than likely I will build 8-10 of the standard broadband 2'x4'x4" traps with oc 703-like material and a backing frame (1 1/2" depth). Also I had a couple questions for the corners....

Most of the "super chucks" are either 34" or 24" facing the room but I wanted to try to build...

2"(h) x12"(a) x12"(b) x16"(c) triangles w/ a 16" face
(Sorry measurements a, b, c are from Pythagorean Theorem)

Then I’d like stack these into 12" high "traps". Then mount maybe five or six of these 12" high traps in a corner evenly spaced floor to ceiling. Ala Auralex lenard bass traps

Will these provide enough absorbsion? Or is it a wank to make them that small?

Would it be better to build 4'x1'x4" traps that cover the whole corner and have an air gap behind them?

Is it better to have an air gap or material all the way to the corner? Ethan’s articles seem to imply air gap...

In a small bedroom like mine should I even consider "live" type diffusers or should I just trap as much as possible?

I have furniture in my mix room (against the back wall is my bed, a bookshelf in one corner, and a dresser in the other) are these pieces hurting or helping me with their locations?

If they are hurting me what are better positions for them?

has anyone had decent results with cylindrical bass traps made from sonotubes? (filled with sand or otherwise)

inquiring minds want to know! :D:D:D

just so you guys know i'm NOT only looking for Ethan's advice...

anyone with experience in room treatment will do :D

Your superchunk idea is good, but full fill is always best. If the superchunk is OC703 or 40-60kg/m3 rock wool it will outperform a 4" trap straddling the corner.

If you are going to have a bedroom in there as well, then a compromise must be made. I would say that trapping and controlling the early reflections would be the priority. Go to my publications page and get my First Reflection Calculator for help positioning the panels.

Cheers,
John

Help me Ethan your my only hope

LOL, John gave you advice as good as I'd be able to offer. Also, as I (tried to) make clear in the heading for my wood panel bass traps article, that type of trap is more suitable for larger rooms, where the ratio of corner area to wall surface leaves a lot of bare walls worth treating. In a bedroom size space you'll do best with thick fiberglass type absorbers. As John said. :D

--Ethan

LOL, John gave you advice as good as I'd be able to offer. Also, as I (tried to) make clear in the heading for my wood panel bass traps article, that type of trap is more suitable for larger rooms, where the ratio of corner area to wall surface leaves a lot of bare walls worth treating. In a bedroom size space you'll do best with thick fiberglass type absorbers. As John said. :D

--Ethan

Agreed. I was just commenting and complementing the design mostly and had understood that wood panel traps would prolly not work well in my confined space.

Plus I’m not really willing to sacrifice that much space in my bedroom :D

I hope to build some one day when I have a suitable room.

Either way thanks for the reassurance as I had hoped broadband absorbers would fix most of the problem.

Your superchunk idea is good, but full fill is always best. If the superchunk is OC703 or 40-60kg/m3 rock wool it will outperform a 4" trap straddling the corner.

If you are going to have a bedroom in there as well, then a compromise must be made. I would say that trapping and controlling the early reflections would be the priority. Go to my publications page and get my First Reflection Calculator for help positioning the panels.

Cheers,
John

thanks John.

i am using 3lb density 2" John Manville IS-300.

i was hoping my 16" "super chucks" would work as the larger versions are kinda cost and material prohibitive.

i assume "live" diffusers are more suitable for larger rooms...

so i will focus on traping the shit out of this room lol :D

so i am still curious... (please anyone chime in here)

I have furniture in my mix room (against the back wall is my bed, a bookshelf in one corner, and a dresser in the other) are these pieces hurting or helping me with their locations?

If they are hurting me what are better positions for them?

has anyone had decent results with cylindrical bass traps made from sonotubes or other material? (filled with sand or otherwise)

Ala:

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/bass-trap-build.html

http://home.comcast.net/~jtgale01/diy2.htm

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/tubetrap.htm

Last edited:
If you build them like the ASC traps they will be excellent. But building one using a concrete form is not a good idea.

The ASC tube trap uses a membrane (plastic) which is transparent to sound energy below 300 to 500 Hz.

Basically, a roll of packaged insulation from the store placed as-is in a corner, will do a very good job of trapping.

As for the positions of the bed, dresser, etc. Could you post a drawing?

Cheers,
John

If you build them like the ASC traps they will be excellent. But building one using a concrete form is not a good idea.

The ASC tube trap uses a membrane (plastic) which is transparent to sound energy below 300 to 500 Hz.

Basically, a roll of packaged insulation from the store placed as-is in a corner, will do a very good job of trapping.

As for the positions of the bed, dresser, etc. Could you post a drawing?

Cheers,
John

awesome thanks John!!!! :D

i was hoping the ASC style tube traps were a good idea.

I'll post pics in a bit of my room...

Back