Help Me Decide!

I didn't realize there was such a big price difference between the two, the UA 2192($2,799) and the Rosetta 200($1,799), a thousand dollar difference, oh my! I doubt whether there is a thousand dollar sound difference. Any thoughts on this? The Rosetta 800 is similarly priced.

if your only doing a couple tracks at a time, i think Apogee makes something, i think its called the mini-me or soemthing.

apogee is supposed to be excellent. i have never used it though.

i use a digi002r and i think that is a great unit.

When I bought my 2192 it was priced lower, actually very close to the Rosetta 200. I think what seperates the 2192 from the Rosetta 200 is the analog signal path, which is class A in the 2192. It's a different design and philosophy approach to how to build a converter. I do find the 2192 to sound wonderful and lacking in any of the drawbacks that I've always observed in converters.

That said, the Rosetta is probably plenty good enough for your uses, and I'm sure there are other things you'd be able to spend that $1,000 on! Just be sure to check actual "street" prices, because that might bring the 2192 down a bit closer to the Rosetta.

Rick, for that kind of money there's no reason you couldn't several different things.

For AD/DA I'd recommend you look at the RME ADI-2. Runs in the mid $500's. I use ADI's an they're excellent. Ted Perlman used ADI on the Bert Bacharach tracks he produced - and the CD won Grammys.

For a mic, the Peluso 22 251 is an excellent complement to the 2247LE. The 22 251 is in the mid $1200's. BTW, I wouldn't consider going from a 2247 to a 2247LE an "upgrade". It's just a different mic.

So, there's less than $1800 so far. I think you're good for preamps. And the rest of your gear's all good stuff - unless you're not getting the kind of sound you're wanting. There are other options...

Rick, I just listened to your MP3. If you're going for the sound of "James Taylor, John Denver, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Eagles" - I think that you could have a more appropriate preamp. The AD2022 has a very glassy and sparkly sound. I think preamps like the John Hardy M-1, A-Designs Pacifica, LaChapell 992 EG would get you more in that area of that sound - they're more subdued than the AD2022.

A pair of M-1's or a Pacifica would run you about $1000 less the AD2022.

For what you're doing I'd recommend a pair of Schoeps CMC6 mic bodies with MK4 capsules. For what you could sell the Gefell 300's and the AD2022 for - plus the $2-3K you have budgeted for the next phase - you could run a pair of Schoeps through a Pacifica or M-1's to an RME ADI-2. You'd have much better SDC mics, a preamp that's more suited to what you're doing, and excellent AD/DA. And you'd still have $ left over...

My 2¢.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions Dot, very solid choices based on my readings in the forums over the past year. Ya, initially, I got locked into this recording chain, but in time, I will probably get more flexible and experiment by replacing some equipment with more suitable choices for what I do. I have heard great things about the Hardy preamps for vocal/acoustic guitar sources. You are correct about the highend sparkle of the Avalon AD2022. I think that is why I decided to try letting go of the 2247 for the LE version and see what it does for the bottom end of my recordings. I guess I also needed to hear what this setup sounds like through a highend converter before making any further changes. As you suggested, I could do a hell of alot by selling the AD2022 and getting even more gear which would give me more flexibility and perhaps more of the sound I am looking for. Until then, I think i will try to make the most out of a good set of converters (I am set on getting a highend setup at this point).

Although finances are a struggle, I do have the financial means to add more gear in time without selling what I already have.

I really appreciate everybody's input.

I went ahead and purchased the UA 2192 AD/DA system after researching what people have had to say about them and because I got a phenomenal deal on it.

Hey Dot, I just tried the 2247 on my voice, and it seems to suit me better. You were right about the LE not necessesarily being better, but different. For me, it works very well, takes the edge off my voice being sharp at times. It brings out the real depth in my voice that the 2247 doesn't quite reach.

Back