Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Seymour Duncan SPB-3

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
I'm refinishing my P Bass copy and thought a fresh set of pups would be an excellent idea. I'd rather not route another cavity, so I'm limited to a split coil. I like Steve Harris' tone in Iron Maiden and I also like Roger's tone from Less Than Jake. In general, a nice low end, with twangy highs. Unfortunately for me, Roger uses a MM bass with a humbucker right next to the bridge, so it's going to be relatively difficult to acheive his sound. Steve Harris is a bit easier, considering he uses a P Bass as well. Help?

Of those two, I like the dimarzio, but I like the Bartolini bass pickups more than any other. They have a better full range response, and just sound cleaner. Now, if you are after more growl and balls, then go for the Dimarzio.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I'll take a look at those, I've never heard the name before (I'm a guitarist, trying to make the transition because I like the sound of bass better). Thanks light!

Bartolini makes a split P?

So does Campbell's but I don't think it'll work here. :rolleyes:

I did not know that. Is it passive, and if not, will he have room for the electronics? I've never had an active, so I don't know how much room that stuff takes up.

And who makes the 'Quarter-pounder' (besides McDonalds)?

Of course, I guess I could look it up, but what's the fun in that?

Cardioidpotent said:
So does Campbell's but I don't think it'll work here. :rolleyes:

I did not know that. Is it passive, and if not, will he have room for the electronics? I've never had an active, so I don't know how much room that stuff takes up.

And who makes the 'Quarter-pounder' (besides McDonalds)?

Of course, I guess I could look it up, but what's the fun in that?

The Quarter Pounder is made by Seymour Duncan.

Bartolini's are passive pickups, but they are low impedance pickups. They work well with active electronics, and Bartolini probably makes the best active electronics out there, but they also work just fine passively. If you are using them passively, they are priced very close to Seymour Duncans, by the way.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

but it still won't fit, will it?

Light,

Unless his copy for some reason has a huge p/u cavity a Bartolini won't fit, will it?

IronFlippy,
Let me know what you do with this, as I'm looking do try the same thing on my cheap copy. I think I'm leaning towards the SD. I'm not really looking for growl out of this one.

Cardioidpotent said:
Light,

Unless his copy for some reason has a huge p/u cavity a Bartolini won't fit, will it?

IronFlippy,
Let me know what you do with this, as I'm looking do try the same thing on my cheap copy. I think I'm leaning towards the SD. I'm not really looking for growl out of this one.

Bartolini P-Bass pickups are the same size as any other P bass pickups. They will fit fine. They are, after all, designed as a direct replacment.

They make all sizes, you know.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back