Help me choose a new plug-in?

MrWrenchey

Sweetwater has a sale on all these Waves plug-ins for almost half their usual price, and I'm curious about what I should get.
A multi-band compressor? New reverb unit? The L2 limiter? An EQ?
There are so many choices, I can't decide. All I have right now are the bundled plug-ins with Pro Tools 10 and the "Smack!" compressor. The reverb units seem like they'd be the best investment out of them, but I'm just not sure...
Any help deciding what would be the most useful, considering my limited plug-in selection at the moment?

The linMB is nice
linear multiband It depends what you want it for
I also like the trueverb

Yep the API 2500 is my go to drum compressor awesome good call

Last edited:
I had my eye on the TrueVerb as one of the reverbs I might purchase.
Unfortunately, the API 2500 is a little out of my price range for the moment... But the L2 and TrueVerb are top of the list for now. Thanks, gents. =]

L2 is a perfect tool for home mastering. I use that word loosely by the way. I also find it great for snare, after Stilwell 'Transient Monster'. Another plug I would highly recommend if you are recording drums. Oh wait, Protools. Oh well.....

Obviously it depends what you need, but I get a lot of use from rverb, and vocal rider is worth a demo at least, if you do a lot of vox.

are there restrictions on what protools can use?

i really like all of the stillwell stuff, and it's way cheaper, great demo, and cool dudes who make it.

for reverbs, does protools have a good convolution reverb? if so just get some impulses and you're set.

most plugins are WAY too expensive and don't help as much as you think they are going to help. depending on what you're doing, and your skill level, a couple different types of compressor, a good convo reverb, and a couple different types of EQ should cover 99% of your mixing ground. other stuff is fun (like transient monster is cool) but i could live without it.

but, if you have some cash, i'd recommend a really nice buss compressor. that'll help a ton with drums, master, and even vocal and guitar buss. stillwell's got a "bombadier" that is insane on everything and super versitile...my #1 pick for plugins.

Obviously it depends what you need, but I get a lot of use from rverb, and vocal rider is worth a demo at least, if you do a lot of vox.

Do you like the vocal rider mate, use it a lot?
that caught my eye just wasnt sure if it was worth it. Since i do most of my vocal automation with the mouse.

Do you like the vocal rider mate, use it a lot?
that caught my eye just wasnt sure if it was worth it. Since i do most of my vocal automation with the mouse.

I ran the demo for Pete Gardiner's last CD there.

It didn't do the job any better than I could have done it, but it did it instantaneously.
I'm pretty sure I'll invest in it.

for reverbs, does protools have a good convolution reverb? if so just get some impulses and you're set.

I don't believe so. All the reverbs I got with Pro Tools I'm really not a fan of... I got the TrueVerb as one of my plug-ins recently, but I'm looking at getting a second one, and the Waves sale is still going on.|

I've always liked the rcomp. Nice piece.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was looking at that as one of the plug-ins that I might buy, but I wasn't sure if I'd need that one too, as I already have a Smack! compressor (of course, if the R-Comp would be a nice addition to that, I may go for that one too...)

Oooooh, Waves even has the R-Comp in a plug-in bundle with several other things (EQ and such, Musicians 2 bundle) for only $120. If I'm getting an EQ/Compressor, I may have to just get that bundle.

I ran the demo for Pete Gardiner's last CD there.

It didn't do the job any better than I could have done it, but it did it instantaneously.
I'm pretty sure I'll invest in it.

Good work mate I've heard some of the Tracks. It did a good job and so did you thanks

Back