Help: Martin D15

StevenLindsey

I am the dubiously proud owner of a new D15 that I ordered from Sweetwater. I went against my better judgment in ordering a guitar without playing it, but I took a chance on Martin QC and on Sweetwater's "40 point check." I had previously played a D15 at a local store that sounded fine and played very well. The only trouble was some string buzz which I pretty well know how to take care of. The people were such horses' butts (Ziegler's Music in Monroe, LA) I decided not to give them my business so....I ordered one.

I got home with it. It sounds great except that it's set up with the strings way too low and buzzing like crazy. (I asked them to keep it as low as possible without buzzing and to use light gauge strings.) Really no big deal there since I know how to shim a saddle. I was going to put a bone saddle on it anyway. But...I started playing barr chords and the high E string started slipping of the end of the fret, especially on a Bminor and G. The E is very very close to the end of the fret and the frets are chopped off at a vicious angle. The frets on my Alvarez are smoothed off very nicely at the ends, but not these puppies. I'm wondering if the nut is just cut incorrectly?? Are the frets on yours chopped off like that? The string is just simply too close to the edge...it just clunks right offa there if I press too hard. (I've been playing for about 35 years so I don't think its just bad technique although I'm not used to light strings.)

Anybody else experienced this? Am I just playing it wrong? I'm used to medium strings. The D15 I played in the store didn't do this...I played it for a good hour or two and never noticed it. (Had custom lights on it.) Anybody got any suggestions? I'm thinking it's gonna have to go back but I surely do hate to go through all that crud. I guess it was stupid to buy an acoustic guitar this way.

Thanks to anyone who can suffer through this long boring post and give any advice or just tell me how stupid I am. :D

There is almost certainly a Martin warranty center in your area (we are everywhere). Take it in. Setups are not covered, but if there is some other problem, they almost always throw in an action adjustment with the other work.

At a guess, something has changed due to the climate change between Sweetwater’s shop in the Illinois or Indiana or where ever the hell they are, and down there around the swamps where you live.

From Martin's website, here are three warranty centers in Louisiana:

Tim's Guitar Workshop Baton Rouge LA 70806-1430 225-926-8467
Foster Guitar Covington LA 70435-6629 985-892-9822
Davis Instrument Service Hammond LA 70401 985-340-0137

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

It'd be easier just to give it back to Sweetwater I think. Thanks for the reply.

Hate to send it back. I love the D15s. I liked the sound of this model better than quite a number of the higher end models. The low-end "chunk" is just great.

StevenLindsey said:
It'd be easier just to give it back to Sweetwater I think. Thanks for the reply.

Hate to send it back. I love the D15s. I liked the sound of this model better than quite a number of the higher end models. The low-end "chunk" is just great.

Except you still have to pay for shipping if you send it back, and if you take it to a warranty center you don't have to pay anything, if it is warranty work.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back