Help!Lost "sensor seals"for YAMAHA MT-44d!!

walter227

Hello, problem:YAMAHA MT-D44 multitrack(4) recorder:
This unit has a sensor that tells the unit to switch from 2 track to 4 track mode.It came with "sensor seals" that stuck on one side of the cassette tape on the cassette window , activating the sensor that switched it to 4 track mode.
Anyone know how to bypass the sensor??I tried aluminum foil already, no luck.
Anyone??
Thanks , Walter

Got It!~!

:) Hello, I figured out this situation,don`t know how many people still own these awesome recorders, but here goes.

There is a sensor to the rear of the cassette window, it has 3 double tabs.
Carefully cut a piece of electrical tape to cover the centre double tab. Next, use a piece of aluminum foil and cover all three sensors, hold in place with a piece of tape.
That`s it!
Hope this helps someone in the same boat.
I will check back in after I get my RM-602 recording mixer connected to the MT-44D

Regards
Walter

Well done! Just read your post but I'll leave this one in anyway.

I have the same model. When I got it (from the Hock shop for $18) it didnt have a sticker for me to copy so I had to work it out.

There are three little sensors in a row.
I made up a piece of alum foil with, I think, either the two outer sections blacked out or the centre section blacked out. I carefully aligned and stuck the foil over the cassette back plate, facing the cassette, so I didnt have to worry about stickers every time I recorded in 4 track. But if you've got an old sticker on a cassette just copy the pattern.

About a year ago, I got sick of the foil getting unreliable so I pulled the cover off and hardwired the logic to always be in 4 track mode. A good tech could do the same for your machine. Not a big job.

I never understood the need for it anyway. It's got 4 record select buttons already, with red lights to tell you which tracks are active.

Great little machine though. I recorded our band's live gigs with it, straight out of the mixer, and it always gave a good result.
Tim

MT44D.. thanks for the post

Well done! Just read your post but I'll leave this one in anyway.

I have the same model. When I got it (from the Hock shop for $18) it didnt have a sticker for me to copy so I had to work it out.

There are three little sensors in a row.
I made up a piece of alum foil with, I think, either the two outer sections blacked out or the centre section blacked out. I carefully aligned and stuck the foil over the cassette back plate, facing the cassette, so I didnt have to worry about stickers every time I recorded in 4 track. But if you've got an old sticker on a cassette just copy the pattern.

About a year ago, I got sick of the foil getting unreliable so I pulled the cover off and hardwired the logic to always be in 4 track mode. A good tech could do the same for your machine. Not a big job.

I never understood the need for it anyway. It's got 4 record select buttons already, with red lights to tell you which tracks are active.

Great little machine though. I recorded our band's live gigs with it, straight out of the mixer, and it always gave a good result.
Tim

Hi, I just joined forum. I also have MT44D, and no seals.. Glad I found the forum and will try the suggested solutions mentioned. thanks for posting this
Stu

What is the purpose of putting these "sensor seals" on casette tapes for 4 track use?

A musician buddy of mine was given a Yamaha MT44 recorder, and I was trying to help him out getting it to record on all four tracks at once, but it didn't work in 4 track mode unless the cassette had some kind of "sensor seal" pasted on the clear plastic area between the reels. The manual specified that you have to put one of those on it in some kind of special way that satisfies three sensors that look out from the back wall of the cassette holding space.

Can anyone tell me what the hell this was all about??? It's said that one can "fool" the sensors using aluminum foil or some such...(but you've got to do it just so or it won't work very well).

I mean, why couldn't they have made it just a switch setting?...

Ah well, maybe that's just life in the old days.

sensor seals

Okay, so maybe one can still get the little proprietary cassette stickers from someone. Whatever.

But it would be much more interesting if one could just remove the lid of the thing and do some hardware hacking, cut out the wires of those pesky sensors... let them fend for themselves.

Doesn't anyone in here have something better to say than, "Just go and buy the dumb stickers if you can find them"...??

Look, I understand...maybe it's just a mystery what the designers of this otherwise nicely laid out MT44 product meant by putting in such a strange "gotcha" feature as that. Old gear etc.

sensor seals

Okay, so maybe one can still get the little proprietary cassette stickers from someone. Whatever.

But it would be much more interesting if one could just remove the lid of the thing and do some hardware hacking, cut out the wires of those pesky sensors... let them fend for themselves.

Doesn't anyone in here have something better to say than, "Just go and buy the dumb stickers if you can find them"...??

Look, I understand...maybe it's just a mystery what the designers of this otherwise nicely laid out MT44 product meant by putting in such a strange "gotcha" feature as that. Old gear etc.

A musician buddy of mine was given a Yamaha MT44 recorder, and I was trying to help him out getting it to record on all four tracks at once, but it didn't work in 4 track mode unless the cassette had some kind of "sensor seal" pasted on the clear plastic area between the reels. The manual specified that you have to put one of those on it in some kind of special way that satisfies three sensors that look out from the back wall of the cassette holding space.

Can anyone tell me what the hell this was all about??? It's said that one can "fool" the sensors using aluminum foil or some such...(but you've got to do it just so or it won't work very well).

I mean, why couldn't they have made it just a switch setting?...

Ah well, maybe that's just life in the old days.

I believe my friend just got rid of his MT44D / RM-602 mixer with the patch bay also.
I will ask him if he has any of the sensors left over.
I'll post back here if he does.

Never had that problem with any other brand of multitracker. It's bizarre that Yamaha decided to make theirs default to two-track.

Back