Help Identifying These Monitors

MDMStudio

So I found these on a local classified for $140, couldn't seem to find the correct model when trying to price them, looks like they might be a bit older. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• $_27.jpg
    $_27.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 108
Tannoy has a good name in the industry but their 5 inch and smaller models seem to get far less acclaim than their bigger models...........though they're far from being bad. People often pair them with a decent sub..........which will likely cost you more than the monitors. For $70 each you might want to consider them as an add-on for additional reference listening. Perhaps you can talk them down a bit on price.

They are Tannoy "Reveal" monitors and were OK, relatively inexpensive, monitors for the home studio.

If they are in good nick and work fine, the price seems reasonable.

Ey up!
I have the 5As and I chose mine (yes, ok some time ago!) after reading a shootout of a lot of monitors where models of various prices were mixed and blind listened. The Tannoys beat some much more expensive models for general clarity and low colouration, qualities I seek in speakers.

Ok, they won't go loud and they won't go low but for my son's interests in jazz and classical music and in our tiny, 1200cu ft, "studio" they are fine.

Over the years I have found their bass response to be "honest". Most of the time you don't notice it but then a tune will come on and the heft is definitely there, but just not at window rattling SPLs!

Last but not least. Tannoy have a reputation to uphold and they have been making speakers since before even I was born! It is also almost all they do unlike SOME mnfctrs that make every other electronic gimcrack you can imagine.

Dave.

They're pretty popular, quite well respected and for what they cost - not bad at all. They got a bit of flack when they came out because people expected the Tannoy 'sound', which they don't have because they have two separate drivers.

Back