Sm7b mic
CLI Cloud
Pop filter
Desktop stand
Shure headphones
Se elctronics refexion filter pro

Ok so you guys helped me once
I need help again please

So i have the above equipment thought i had everything set all the settings on the laptop, audacity and everythng, but still have an echo or sound like i am in a tunnel

I have read many articles websites, i can’t afford to hire a sound egineer to come to my house to make sure everything is set correctly

Please help

You don't need an engineer to make your house sound good, but you do need to be sure it sounds good where you're recording. If you sound like you are in a tunnel, that is probably caused by reflections in the room.

Posting a clip for us to hear would be very helpful.

Also, if you have the 2i2, why are you using Audacity?? Use the software that came with the 2i2, it's much better for recording.

Mp3

Here is a file
i got turned down for a job only because of the recording quality

Attachments

• ssssss.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
I listened to the recording through headphones.

The foreground sound, i.e. your recorded vocal track sounds good, so I think the equipment you have is fine.

The background sound is not good. It is a very barky kind of reverb sound, and I find it difficult to decide whether it is the room you are recording in or a routing problem. It is not the sound I expected to hear.

Tell us a bit more about the room.

I don't know enough about either scarlet or audacity to suggest cures, but I suggest you work through your set up to see whether you have a feedback loop occurring.

I hear a normal smallish but lively room in the background.
To get less ambience in your recordings you might get closer to the mic or try some dampening/traps behind you, at the 'hot' end of the mic.

But there's someome very weird ringing on the s-es.
Can you lend yourself gear to troubleshoot your setup?
A different Interface/mic/whatever, to see if you change one thing at a time make a differences, to spot the culprit?
If you track without the popfilter, is there less ringing? (Not kidding here.)
With a SM7 you should not necessarily need one, as it has the foam windscreen already.

With a combination of an SM7B and the Reflexion Filter, your recording should be dead, dead dead. Having any echo/room sound at all means something is wrong.

As others have said, it could be a routing problem (with your voice somehow looping back into itself). However, just trying to think of something easy and obvious...

...are you by any chance trying to use the SM7B as a "side address" mic? If so, it's not. Despite the way it looks, It's an "end address". Indeed, I'm trying to work out how you could use an SM7B in a Reflexion filter and have the positioning right--it could be difficult to mount a large, end address mic properly in the filter.

Anyhow, that's my first thought.

I appreciate it guys
i think i may have done something good
turned off the system mic all togetehr muted the built in speakers? May work

I appreciate it guys
i think i may have done something good
turned off the system mic all togetehr muted the built in speakers? May work

Should have thought about that.
That is kinda mandatory.
Turn off the monitors while tracking and make sure every other mic in the room is dead!

that may be the issue i need to look up what dampening/traps are and i guess addressing the mic is where i am talking into it-ii am a total beginner-use to do live radio, so....
and the scarlet in the interface i use, the audacity is the software program i loaded on my mac-there is no software to record through the scarlet, but i do have everything running through it as apposed to the laptop

I wouldnt be too worried; what we do is baffle up, by putting a towel in front of the player to absorb head on reflections and a baffle or hanging towel off to each side. It effectively deadens the reflections but not so much so that a little well placed reverb doesnt fix the problem. My advice is always try out the different miking positions until you find one you like.

The other thing I would do as a matter of course is check the reference track for the sound you are trying to pull - be it the Clapton Unplugged sound or Extreme More Than Words when you compare the sounds you are pulling you'll hear what direction it needs to be nudged in.

Back