Help! I need to build a Recording Studio!

juan162

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I need help. The Performing Arts School that I work in is going to outfit a recording studio. The physical studio has already been built - we just moved into a brand new building and they spec'd a recording studio in the plans. However there is absolutely no equipment. Here are the basic parameters:

1. The studio will be run by teachers and students, none of whom know much about recording.
2. They will not be hiring a sound engineer to run the studio or teach...ever.
3. The school is a straight acting school. The primary use of the recording studio will be for spoken word and as a project studio for students who may also be recording music...think High School level garage bands and American Idol hopefuls.

I put this in the Recording Techniques forum because I wasn't sure where else to put it. I feel like we need to be careful about where we spend money. For example, I don't think a pair of headphones would last for more than a month in a high school environment. With that in mind, I don't think we should be purchasing expensive cans. In fact, something like Moreme's would probably be more appropriate. I have already decided to go with a Mac so that teachers with no recording experience can use Garageband to get started. However, I do think we should have either Logic, Protools, or some other DAW for those students or teachers who might want to delve deeper into recording. The school is willing to spend $8,000-15,000 on the studio, including installation. Sorry for the long winded explanation and thank you in advance! juan162

FYI - I also posted this on Gearslutz. I figure I'll get a good mix of opinions by posting in both forums!

Could you respond with some physical data - size of room, whether there's a control room space, etc.
You'll need to treat the room - bass traps & maybe something for flutter echo particularly if recording spoken voice.
INTERFACE.
Microphones
stands
cables
etc.
Get REAPER for those who are able to get beyond Garage Band.
You should post this in studio building or newbies because that's where the interested folk are.

Moved....

Yes, you should describe, in more detail as to what the space is, and if you are able to have a separate 'control' room.

As far as headphones are concerned, get some disposable ones. Sony MDR 150's can be had for $20 each, and with a $2 charge (from Sears or other), you can get a two year free replacement planny. You will be using this, when kids are involved. Hell, adults are probably worse actually...Damned clumsy singers.....

:)

I guess I should have explained that better. There is a control room and recording room. Both rooms are completely treated - it was built as a recording studio. There are even panels that can be taken off to install inputs and outputs. All I need is gear,

Juan

Could you respond with some physical data - size of room, whether there's a control room space, etc.
You'll need to treat the room - bass traps & maybe something for flutter echo particularly if recording spoken voice.
INTERFACE.
Microphones
stands
cables
etc.
Get REAPER for those who are able to get beyond Garage Band.
You should post this in studio building or newbies because that's where the interested folk are.

The fact that an engineer, that knows any software, is not in the budget, ......Well, you are going to be screwed, unless you have a very basic program, and a student on hand, who knows what they are doing with the software, in the class.

Setup of any DAW, is the first step. Things can be easily screwed up, if students have access to settings. You, if in charge of this, will want to make yourself capable of setting up, installing software, an optimizing the computers for this. Otherwise, you will surely be back here asking questions, after the bell has rung.

Sounds like the rooms may be good to go, but you are going to need someone to keep things working. I see a job opportunity here. :)

I know it's crazy that there will be no sound engineer! I will be the closest thing to it. Just for reference, I've been home recording for about 20 years and have used everything from Garageband to Protools, though honestly, I end up using Garageband most of the time quickie student projects.
I completely understand that people might think this ridiculous, and that I am a complete crackpot or troll. Never-the-less, I'm not a troll and I can't change the facts of my situation. They won't spend money on a sound engineer but they will pay for equipment-I know, it's like buying a shoe for your left foot but not for the right. I'm planning on setting up the computer with a password protected Adminstrator account and a student accounts with limited privileges. This way students can't completely mess up the computer settings.

I'm looking more specifically for suggestions for mic selection, computer interface, etc. I myself own an older computer interface and computer (macbook cor duo), alesis io14, and haven't had need to purchase a new one as it fits my needs at home. I don't know what newer interfaces might be best. I also have a grab bag of budget mics: mod'd mk-319, 4 mc-012's (I record a lot of choirs), 2 Red LDC heads for the 012's, Chinese ribbon mic, and a couple sm58's and 57's. Again, I'm not sure what to get as there might be better and I also have no experience with better dynamic mics like the ev series or an sm7b for voice over/spoken word.

Back