Help! I need an affordable mixer

darvis

I am looking for an affordable mixer for my home studio. I am currently looking at Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO...does anyone know the retail on one of these babies? Is there a mackie or any other type of mixer i should check out?
thanks

A Behringer desk is also fine. Cheaper, but probably not of the same build-quality. My 24-channel Behringer sounds wonderful and has everything I need in a mixer. Lots of people sell their analog desks now, in favor of the new digital ones.

Depending on how many channels you need in a mixer, the Alesis Studio 12-R is relatively inexpensive and does the business. It has 8 channels. Uh... 12 channels, hence the name.

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 10-28-1999).]

I would try a Behringer. I have a Behringer Eurorack MX2004a and there isn't anything that it can't do! 16 channels for $450 with inserts and fx sends and returns. even is more tranceparent sounding than Mackie!! I think the total distortion is like 0.002%!! the same size mixer by Mackie is about $950.
This is the biggest and best mixer for the $.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself before buying the 1202 VLZ Pro.

1. How many people will go through at it once?

2. Will you ever be in a band?

3. Do you plan on using it to record?

If you are the soul user of this unit, it is really good for the price. Easily under $400. The preamps are pretty great, especially with the new Pro version. Lots of good mixing capabilities. If you will have a couple of vocalists and few musicians, maybe the 1402 or the new 1602(might be 1610--not sure exactly) will do better. 1402 (@$550)has 6 mic, 4 stereo and the 1602 (@$850) has 10 mic, 3 stereo (I think). The 1602 should not be confused with the 1604.

If you are in a band that plays on stage, get a 1604 or the equivalent (about $900-1000). You will eventually need the 16 mic/line jacks and the their flexibility. Nothing worse than buying a small board and a year later realizing that there are not enough inputs--really, I know. I have a 1202 and this happens all the time.

If you are recording, it is a fine unit and works well. The biggest downside is the fact that you have to reroute your cable patching between recording and playback--especially if you are using an eight track recorder. For a bit more money you can get an Alesis Studio 24 ($600) or a Studio 32 ($800) and the channels have a send and return button on the mic/line channels. The 24 is eight mic/line but uses -10db RCA jacks from the mic/line channels (though, that is not "too" terrible) and the 32 has 16 mic/line channels that have balanced 1/4" +4db jacks, which is better yet.

I am sure there are plenty of alternatives and opinions to hear yet.

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 10-28-1999).]

Back