HELP .......I don't know how to use my compressor!!!!

keylolo

Hey everybody,

thanks for your replies, they helped me out a lot.....Now I need advice on Cmpressor levels. I have a dbx166A. When i'm ready to record vocals (jazz/R&B) what levels should I use

For the gate section, what number should the THRESHOLD be and what number should the GATE be to?

For the compression section, what number should the THRESHOLD, RATIO and OUTPUT GAIN be set to?

and where should the PEAKSTOP level be set to?

I know you Studio Gurus can help me out. I need to know some numbers cus I'm a compressor dummy:-)

keylolo

Got it covered.

Our very own Shailat, a member on here wrote an excellent article on compression a while back. It also has a link to an article I wrote on compression in it.

http://www.geocities.com/Shailat2000

Next. Are you sure you NEED a compressor while tracking? This is not a common practice. Sometimes I do, but often don't use a compressor while tracking. It is better if you can get a good sound to tape, and good levels without a compressor. Compressors are great at mix down time, but during tracking, you cannot undo any bad things they may do to the audio without recording the track over again.

Also, are you really, REALLY sure you NEED a noise gate while tracking? I never use them while tracking vocals, and seldomly for anything else for that matter. Once again, they are something that is cool at mix time, but not really during tracking.

Good luck.

Ed

Back