HELP- I am thinking I will get better results in my control room...

studiogenocide

Yep. I made a mistake when I built my recording booth, and I am just now finding that out. Vocals sound good when recorded, but those acoustic guitars are just way too harsh , probably due to the close proximity of the walls. (6 x 16)

I am thinking I will get better results in my mixing room. The only problem is the noise my computer(s) put out. They are relatively quiet, but they will still pick up. What do you guys suggest in the way of dampening that? I am wondering about the vocal booth I made using pvc pipe and moving blankets, maybe setting it up around the mixing desk for recording purposes. The ceilings are high enough, and the room is pretty wide open (about 20 x 16).

Tell me what you guys think. And please, no smarties about I should have done my research beforehand... I assure you that lesson has been learned! :)

-Michael

I like that Quite PC link...very cool. As far as on using moving blankets, etc....it's not going to do much to cut down the PC noise. It may help a little though...maybe enough to make it worthwhile. Hard to say without actually doing it.

Frank

Michael,

6' by 16'?? That shouldn't make the guitar recordings harsh...

What guitar, mic and micing position are you using?? What treatment do you have on the walls, floor, ceiling, etc....??

Do you want it to sound like a 'Nashville' guitar? Nashville sound, I know. :D

Cheers,
John

Michael,

6' by 16'?? That shouldn't make the guitar recordings harsh...

What guitar, mic and micing position are you using?? What treatment do you have on the walls, floor, ceiling, etc....??

Do you want it to sound like a 'Nashville' guitar? Nashville sound, I know. :D

Cheers,
John

That is awesome. Maybe you can help me then. I am using a Rhode NT2 and NT3 in stereo pattern X through an FMR preamp. I sit generally in the middle of the room, and the room is treated with bass traps, absorbers, and carpet on the walls and floor. I play facing the end of the room. Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I got a better sound through a single mic in a larger room when I tracked them before. Any advioce you can offer would be awesome.

Michael,

Try this:

Place the guitarist about 1/3d of the room facing the larger area. Use the nt3 only. Mono track. Point the mic down the neck towards the body so that the capsule is at the 12th fret on the first string. Align the mic body so that it is going in the same direction as the guitar neck... about an inch and a half away from the fret board.

Record flat. no eq, no comp. Then do that again & sync with the first track. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
John

they like that

Yep. I made a mistake when I built my recording booth, and I am just now finding that out. Vocals sound good when recorded, but those acoustic guitars are just way too harsh , probably due to the close proximity of the walls. (6 x 16)

I am thinking I will get better results in my mixing room. The only problem is the noise my computer(s) put out. They are relatively quiet, but they will still pick up. What do you guys suggest in the way of dampening that? I am wondering about the vocal booth I made using pvc pipe and moving blankets, maybe setting it up around the mixing desk for recording purposes. The ceilings are high enough, and the room is pretty wide open (about 20 x 16).

Tell me what you guys think. And please, no smarties about I should have done my research beforehand... I assure you that lesson has been learned! :)

-Michael

actually they prefer that you just buy stuff and try it and dont pay no nevermind to planning ahead

i caught a lot of grief just because i tried to get the info to plan ahead and avoid mistakes

actually they prefer that you just buy stuff and try it and dont pay no nevermind to planning ahead

i caught a lot of grief just because i tried to get the info to plan ahead and avoid mistakes

I'm sorry that happened to you. You will not get that treatment from me.

Don't ever let anyone discourage you from doing your music or learning new things. My (Our) current education is based on thousands of years of human 'mistakes'. We now stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, having learned from their mistakes & and also learning from our own current mistakes. Knowledge in acoustics has evolved by an incredible amount in the past 30 years. I (at age 57) study daily to keep abreast with the latest data and new products.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. OK? So, please continue to try to get information and plan ahead. And if you get any grief for it, PM me. I'll answer your questions without snide remarks. :D

Cheers,
John

Don't ever let anyone discourage you from doing your music or learning new things. My (Our) current education is based on thousands of years of human 'mistakes'. We now stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, having learned from their mistakes & and also learning from our own current mistakes. Knowledge in acoustics has evolved by an incredible amount in the past 30 years. I (at age 57) study daily to keep abreast with the latest data and new products.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. OK? So, please continue to try to get information and plan ahead. And if you get any grief for it, PM me. I'll answer your questions without snide remarks.

KUDOS to ya John. Civility at its finest. You are a gentleman and a knowlegable one at that.

vs. EZ....
Hate Maker

unbelievable

Back