Help I am a New Timer

Pcpg

Hi I just wanna say this forum is awsome and looks like alot can be learnt here.

Here is my setup
Mxl 1006bp mic
Art Tube Mp
then I will hook it up to Audiophile 24/96 (JUst ordered it)

My problem lies in the fact that i am a complete newbie in recording vocals for rap and Hip Hop matter of fact newbie at every kind of music i mean Total newbie. I have many questions and the few resources i find on the topics tend not to be new guy freindly usage of nicknames and acronyms for words are usually half the article I Read. I just wanna know if there is a collection or website or some place where they teach the tricks,or audio effects which can help my vocals sound at the commercial level or close to it as I can get.

Thank You

Welcome to the board!. There are many people on this site who have lots of knowledge & are willing to share thier expertise.

However, the more precise and specific your questions the better the advise can be.

Getting vocals at a "commercial level" can involved many things. Starting with a good performance, using a good signal path (decent mic, pres, recording device, etc.), proper mic placement, a good sounding room (or in absence of a good room, a very dry "vocal booth" with the proper use of effects (reverb, etc).

At a minimum, you would normally need a decent condenser mic, a decent mic pre, some type of compressor (to control the vocal signal) and reverb/multi effects units to add reverb and/or delay to the vocals.

This site is a good place to hang and read the various posts. In particular you may want to hang in the mic room and the rack room to read why people use certain mics & F/X.

It sounds like you have some good basic gear to start with - hang around and you'll be amazed at the amount of gear some people have - but we all started with a basic set-up.

More than anything - spend as much time as you can recording and learn from your mistakes (everyone on this board has likely made dozens if not hundreds of mistakes) - good recording can be a lifelong adventure.

thx

thx for ur post

I now just want to get the basic process down now. Correct me if I am wrong.

First step u make sure the equip is ready to go
Second u record into the mic using cool edit ,cubase or sonar
Then u fix it up put all diffrent kinds of effects to make ur vocals sound nice.
After that i think u master it keeping the tracks seperate
Then u render then together and do a final mastering

IS this the right way?

Re: thx

Pcpg said:
thx for ur post

I now just want to get the basic process down now. Correct me if I am wrong.

First step u make sure the equip is ready to go
Second u record into the mic using cool edit ,cubase or sonar
Then u fix it up put all diffrent kinds of effects to make ur vocals sound nice.
After that i think u master it keeping the tracks seperate
Then u render then together and do a final mastering

IS this the right way?

Homeboy, take it 1 STEP AT A TIME!!!!

The 1st thing you'll want to do is record clean and clear tracks.
Start off with a click track for timing purposes and proceed on capturing a clean vocal track. Control the voc's siblance via de-essing (when you hear the "ssssssss" sound), control the lyricists
vocal peak surges by incorporating a compressor and gently cut/boost freq'y's via a EQ if needed.

The point is work on recording a clean vocal track and then others here will guide you to dynamic processing,efx,mixing, panning etc etc etc.

A click track in an audible sound (a click) that keeps time. As an example if the song will be 120 beats per minute (bpm) then a drum machine (or some other device) plays a note (or even better - a groove) at that tempo.

For now, just try recording some vocals to learn the proper gain settings (recording volumn) to get the cleanest signal you can.

Back