help... guitar shopping

sodapopinski

Well... I have played guitar for a number of years now, and own a fairly nice Strat... but my acoustic isn't exactly what I'm looking for. It's an Epiphone PR 350. Not a bad guitar, but I want something more. I've just got back from guitar center having spent 2 hours looking for a new acoustic, and am a little depressed. Ok, I can't spend more than $900.00, and I would prefer to stay around $500.00. Yes, I'm a poor grad student. I want an Acoustic/Electric, and am looking for some advice.

I have looked at the Takamine G series guitars, and liked them but they seemed a little "boomy" when not plugged in. Plugged in their fine because I can control the eq. I'm thinking different strings might help this too.

I am also looking at a couple Ovation Celebrity series guitars. These sound great plugged in, but lack a little when unplugged. So, any suggestions? I really am looking for a good, crisp, clean sounding guitar with decent electronics.

Also, I plan on doing a lot of recording with it (using 2 paired mxl 603's). So, I want something that sounds good here as well, although I'm more concerned about live performance (sometimes unplugged, sometimes amped). Finally, my Epiphone really does have a nice sound, so if I wanted I could just go for an acoustic that sounds good plugged in, and maybe not so good unplugged.

What do you think? Please, when you reply, keep my $ issue in mind as I really can't afford more than $900.00.

Soda

Take a look at the lower line of Martin or upper line Sigma. You can have a really nice pickup installed and still be within that $900 range. And it will sound fantastic unplugged too. I think Sigma has a D45 looking model for about $500, but I can't remember the exact price offhand. It is gorgeous though.

My first guitar was a sigma from a pawn shop that has incredible sound. I was playing some Tacoma's at Guitar center and they play fantastically. I have a bid on one on Ebay now. Check them out

If you want an electro-acoustic look at the Yamaha range. At any price level they are very competetive. I have had 4 Yamaha acoustics and I have never had a bad one. At the moment I have an APX-4 sycamore top electro, and I love it. The APX and CPX range are very popular in my area and sound good plugged or unplugged.

Thanks everyone. I found a Takamine that I really like. It's a little out of my price range, so I put it on lay away. I should have it paid of in a few months.

Back