help for cakewalk 8.04

daveymul

hello,can anyone help me with a problem i am having.im new to cakewalk & have recorded some midi tracks.i need to have a click track for a drummer which i have also done via midi drums.my problem is i have recently put an e-mu0404 card into my pc with an analog l/r outputs but when i play my midi tracks thru the card i am still hearing both midi track and click track playing both right and left even though i have the click track panned hard left and everything else panned hard right can anbody help me out please? answer is probably simple but i am a complete novice.

if i remember there is a setting to turn off the click track on playback.
if thats what you need. look for the setting in cakewalk and set it to off for playback.(or unticked whatever).
if you want to try what i use for recording NOW try powertracks at pgmusic.com. superb for 49 bucks. just try the demo if you dont believe me.

sorry manning1,i think you have misunderstood my problem.i have the internal recording/playback click disabled.i manually wrote the click through the woodblock in general midi to a specific track.but when i play it back it is playing through both speakers even though i have it panned specifically hard to one side.basically what i want to do is have all my music tracks play to one side and my click track to another so when i record it to a minidisc player i can playback my music tracks through my p.a.on one output and use the other output as a monitor for the click for myself and my drummer with the pans on my mixer set up so what goes out front is to one side eg.the right speaker output and i use the left speaker output as my monitor so my drummer can hear the click through the headphone output on the mixer and i can use the left output so i can hear the click also.

confused?..................... i am!

hmmm - i THINK i get what your saying.
ie,,,you dont want the click out of both speakers , right ?
if thats the case on the click midi track you will probably find the midi pan value if you look at it - its probably set to zero.
midi pan values - at least on my sequencer range between -127 to +127.
and i can set a specific midi pan value.
so go into the properties of your midi pan track and set the midi pan value to either -127 or +127. that should do the trick.
ie: all left or all right.
if it doesnt make sure the midi click is not somehow on the other track(s)
you have. ie: its bled thru somehow.
its all i can think of.

thanks for your quick reply,my midi pan values are 0 to 127,my music tracks are set to 0 and my click is set to 127.but its still coming through both sides.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its so fustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davey. what sound card are you using ?
it could be the sound card then.
i dont want to push what i use on you but try the demo of powertracks
from pgmusic.com. its free to try. heres what to do.
load in as track one your midi track. set its pan to -127.
now in the ty column click the midi plug on track 2 and it will turn to wave.
(MONO) NOT STEREO (another click).
import your wave music into track 2. pan it the opposite of track one in the mixer. tell me now if it works. hope this works.
if it doesnt - its definitely the sound card.
bear with me - we'll sort it out.

Just because you hard pan your MIDI tracks, it doesn't mean they will go that way...

Why Jaymz? :confused:

Because the effect inserted @ the end of the line will mix them again.

Effect? :confused:

You know, almost every MIDI synth has internal chorus and reverb to sweetening MIDI parts. In Creative cards (or E-mu for that maters) usualy it's EAX. You better turn 'em all off. They tend to "mix" L and R as they like.

How Jaymz? :confused:

I'm not sure, because I don't use E-mu, but I have Creative SB Live! Go open AudioHQ, open EAX control panel. Select no effect. Try again...

Hope it helps...
;)
Jaymz

manning1,the original soundcard is a soundmax digital audio card which is intergrated in the computer.it has a wavetable softsynth also.i bought a e-mu 0404 soundcard and put that in my computer. it has 2 analog and 2 digital outs whereas the soundmax digital audio card has only a stereo speaker out.could u also tell me if you can get different synths and load them into your computer as the one i have is limited?

hi james thanks for your help, im a novice to this game and do not know anything about synths and cards as such its a wavetable synth on a soundmax digital audio card.

Well davey, I've visited Emu's site, and found Emu 0404 doesn't have MIDI engine like it's brother SBLive! So I think the problem lies on your MIDI synth. I don't think soundmax's wavetable alows you to tweak it's configuration that far. Do you have another MIDI playback device?

hi james,as far as im aware that is the only midisynth on board.can i implant one to my pc and have you any recommendations for a high quality synth that i could download or purchase at a reasonably cheap price? you know your stuff & any help is appreciated.

you might give virtual sound canvas a look at pg. i dont use it. but many do.
so i cant attest how good it is. its called something like vsc softsynth.
its like a roland synth in software i believe.

The problem is, Cakewalk 8 doesn't support softsynth that much (unless you use rewire) the way it's succesors do. I'm not sure, but I think you need some external MIDI device connected to your PC.

If you're realy broke, well, at very least you can open your CPU case, take off the internal speaker, and connect long wire to it's cable. Connect it to the can (headphone). I know it sounds silly, but I did once and it works at least. The point is to send metronome signal from CPU internal speaker to your headphone. Once you get enough money, then upgrade your Cakewalk which supports DXi :)

;)
Jaymz

ps. you need to click "use pc speaker" on Cakewalk's metronome page.

manning1,i tried sending you a thank you email but i had no luck.so just like to say thanks for your help over the last few days. cheers daveymul

daveymul said:
do you thinkif i upgrade to cakewalk sonar this may sort out my problem?

Could be! But not in the way that you expect. By upgrading your Cakewalk, there's a chance you'll have various DXi / softsynth bundled (VSC, DR-008, VSampler, etc) with the upgrade package.

;)
Jaymz

Off course!!!

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, some softsynths come with certain package only (eg. DR-008 and Livesynth Pro bundled exclusively with Sonar 2XL, while VSampler3 comes with Sonar 3 and Sonar 4), so you better ask your local dealer for details before deciding which package suite your need.

;)
Jaymz

Back