help fixing guitar

Nick_Black

Mirthmaker
ok, this has nothing to do with me bieng violent with the guitar or overtuned strings, just the screws seemed to have been too short...

anyway's, how would I fix this?:

dscf0114qd1.jpg

a closer shot and (sorry for blurry picture) you should see that some of the wood is chipped out aswell.

dscf0117bl5.jpg

any sugestions how to fix this? (it's a project guitar so I don't want to bring it to a shop)

Last edited:
get screws that are similar but longer, but not to long that they will got through the fretboard. and get some wood glue and toothpicks. fill the neck holes with wood glue and tooth picks basically. good luck. let me know how that works.

ok, thxs :) I was thinking just woodfiller or glue wouild be 2 brittle, but yes, I supose toothpicks should do the trick :) thanks...

now to find screws that are a bit longer...

The best way would be to rout channels to remove the existing screw holes. Piece in new timber. Re pilot the holes and get the right bolts in there. Careful not to route anything that extends past the heel/neck joint. That would leave you with a solid invisible repair. Other less preferred options drill and plug existing holes. Problem with that is unless you can turn dowels with the correct grain orientation you will be refixing into end grain. Not the best long term fix. Just filling will probably not give you a secure fix if the existing holes are worn or made with other bots. The wood has been compressed previously and will not take well to a new thread. You could be lucky.

Is that the original neck?

I am not a big fan of using toothpicks and wood glue however it will work

my suggestions would be to install threaded sleves. not a quick fix but will be the last repair you will have to make to that neck.

this method is far superior to plugging or even cutting a dovetail joint IMO.
http://www.woodworkingparts.com/parts/brass_inserts.html

Yeah, I once worked at a factory that made custom design tables and we used those brass inserts to secure them to the table's base. Those inserts will hold it very secure!

be careful with getting longer screws...they could pierce your fretboard if they are too long.

Is it a fender neck/guitar?
That's what it looks like to me (with the exception of the humbuckers). If so, get the correct screws...THEN do the wood aND glue fill if neccessary. You may not have to fill with the correct screws in place.

wow sweet sugestions! I think I'm gonna go with the threaded inserts Idea.

yes it is the original neck.
no it's not a fender (les paul body stile should have given that away.. :))
and it's a galveston guitar. some no-name ebay company..at least it seamed to be at the time.. there's a bit more publicaty around it now.. but. I never heard a better sounding plywood guitar before :)

edit: sorry jimistone one of the images that shows a more body shot dosn't seem to be loading...

Edit2:This is how it originally was.. only a 100 dollars cheeper...

Last edited:
Edit2:This is how it originally was.. only a 100 dollars cheeper...

"Galveston guitars are quickly becoming well known in the industry due to their excellent quality..."

I would loudly protest this on Harmony Central, forums, etc. if I were you. Sure, you can fix it but to consider it "excellent quality" I'd say the manufacturer should have used the appropriate screws for the most important part of the entire assembly. There really is no excuse for that. Is it still within the one year warranty?

They're pretty though.

It appears that the brass insert idea is the easiest and most durable way to fix your problems. Just one word of advice: take your time and double, triple, and quadruple-check your work before making any cuts or drilling any holes. One off-center hole and you're, umm, well, "screwed." ;)

Good luck!

Making guitar repairs can be tough. I usually don't respond to alot of forum questions but I have a suggestion that might be of some value. I do alot of guitar set-ups and minor repairs for people in town. The bigger repairs I send to a luither to make things simpler. As someone else said, thats a nice guitar and if you don't get those holes filled correctly, when you re-tap the screws they will pull out over time with the tension on the body plus the heat and cold play hell on guitars. Im not a huge fan of bolt on necks anyway, but I think Fender knows more than I do so I wont argue with that one :-).

As a suggestion, there is a company called Stewart MacDonald and they have some great advise when it comes to making repairs. I have used them many times in the past for repairing chips in guitars and fret replacement. Go to their web site and I feel safe in saying you will return to it again and again.

Good luck on your project.

mwthompson: :) maby I will inform some people about it bieng an all plywood body, and screws bieng too small. and fairly sheeply made body (the finish is actually just a layer of plastic glued on, and wire holes are drilled completly thrue the body leaving alot of unused holes. I didn't complain cuz I got it at a dirt cheep price. it's to be expected. but people that apre paying the new much higher price should know..

but I think I voided my warentee as soon as I stripped off the finish ;)

Danny B: yes, I've been looking for that website :) I had forgotten what it was called, Thanks :D

Back