help fast! automation!

FBstdminime

I want to get automation for my newly analog studio (I'm planning on buying a soundcraft m8). All the analog consoles I see with automation are thousands of dollars, and I don't need 32 channels just to have fancy faders. I was looking around, and some companies make separate automation, like CM-Automation MX-816 Intelligence CM-Automation FX-100 Automation Control Console. Now with these, could I control the volume and mute for my reel to reel tracks? I would like to mix with analog as much as I can before sending it to my computer. Is this a good option?

If you are utimately mixing on the DAW it would seem a little redundant to buy an analog automation system. I'm assuming you want to automate the levels for the dump into the DAW. This isn't really that neccessary because if you are recording to 24bit you will have better SNR on the DAW than the analog deck and you don't really need to ride the levels like that. You will also just be introducing more circuitry into the signal path.

Excuse me if I misunderstood your intentions. I dont really know those automation systems so I can't say if they will integrate well as standalone units for your soundcraft.

Back