Help - does this rock or suck?

brummygit

Hello all

Im fairly new to songwriting and recording and ive written this one, called Not Easy.

please ignore the dodgy strings section lol as i was just playing with it to see if it'd work before re-recording the whole lot

Im looking for criticism on any thing really. i reckon it could work, but im biased :)
Mainly though, im trying to get an idea of:
1) the singing. should i get a singer, lessons myself, or what?
2) the structure. is it lacking energy or anything?

any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated (dont hold back on the bad stuff, ill never learn otherwise...!)

cheers

USED: Logic Pro 6, Zoom drum machine+FX, Yamaha prs290 keyboard, Gibson Les Paul, Washburn acoustic, Rode NT 1 mic, apple powerbook G4, Novation speedio audio/midi interface

Last edited:
Hiya bloke from brum.

Listening as I write. Really like this. Especially the intro - I love whatever you've got going on in the background - very subtle and beautifully done. Kudos for the singing, and the harmonies are tops - I think you'd struggle to find a singer to do this better than you did. (A few lessons will make anybody better though - you're already good but your placing could be improved - a teacher will help you hit notes more cleanly, then you'd sound more professional) There is a slight harshness in your voice, especially when you sing the "it's not easy" bits; I can't tell whether that's due to your technique, mic placement, or your gear, perhaps somebody in the MP3 clinic could help.

There are some bits I didn't like so much:

The Les Paul ehythm part during the verse - distortion takes up so much space I thought that even sitting back in the mix it was detracting from the song. I'd have gone for a smoother transition from quiet to loud, by the way, but that's just me. The guitar solo is a matter of taste, although it wasn't to mine (probably because I've heard enough Les Paul solos to last a lifetime) many will disagree. (Just listening a second time - is there a key change in that solo just before the end? Something jars a little there). As you suggested I ignored the strings, which I think is the kindest thing to do :)

Great stuff overall, really good effort mate.

haha very much appreciated comments there. i guess ive thought about some singing lessons, but thought id get an opinion first on where i am at the moment. for example, some of my mates can't hold a note to save their life, but their tone and character in their voice blows me away and kinda lets them get away with tuning!!

id be keen for input as to what to do with the loud chorus bit then - i want to keep that sense of build up, crash in, but unfortunately the only way i know is to turn up the gain and 'smash'!!

also the strings - i know they're really bad on here, but would they work in those parts they're in if they were re-done, etc? or should i just go back to the quiet intro for those bits?

as for key changes, im not sure, not intentional anyway :) but theyre just improvised lines. im open minded as to whether to take them out totally, or just shorten them down and/or soften them up

cheers

wowowow

I was impressed overall. Ditto on the singing. I don't think anyone could sing it better, because you are doing it from the heart. It's your song! I didn't find the distortion that distracting, but then again I grew up at teen during heavy metal's reign of terror. It works on a lot of levels.

But...
Your drums need a little bit more life. I would take out the strings or subdue them deep in the mix. Maybe do that part acoustically? The guitar solo is good, right till the ending, maybe trail it off instead of the sharp end?

Keep plugging, you have something there. Why haven't you been discovered yet? :D

Well it doesn't suck, therefore it must rock.

Basically solid. I like the song, the arrangement, your voice.

A few hints:

1) The acoustic intro needs something. Either make it less clicky (vs. rubato feel), or roll off the lows and add something to complement.

2) The vocal arrangement during the chorus, the response ("so why's it easy for you") could be harmony vocals, and a bit quieter. By the way I really like the different timbres you get in your voice for these two parts. Don't lose the harshness! That conveys emotion that makes the message of the lyric real.

3) I wouldn't mind more cowbell. No, I meant guitars! Really, track a few more of 'em, I think it would help.

sounds pretty good to me. Without offending you I can hear a hint of Oasis in there?

If anything I would be inclined to take the over drive down a notch to see if the less is more theory makes a difference.

Great singing.

hey everyone, seriously thanks for the help.

mshilarious, good idea to sit the response vocals back a little, have done that now.

tmg, oasis not offensive at all, i like them loads and so do loads of people so i take that as a complement. after listening to a few other peoples tracks and noticing that blasting the overdrive up sounds a bit over the top, ive decided that cutting it back is sensible. in a few little demos i tried since listening around and your comments, ive had a few good results cutting the gain right back and double tracking a bit more carefully. so cheers for the tip!!

i'm getting there, slowly but surely!

cheers

Back