Help: DIY Cables

hongteck

hey guys, need your help and like to hear your experience for those who make their own cables.

i was looking around for some cables and connectors at a local shop and the only stuff i could find are the Canare cables & connectors. are they any good ?

also, does it make much sonic difference using balanced and unbalanced cables in a small project studio ? my cables will mostly only be 1-2 metres long.

thanks in advance guys !

My rule is:
If it's possible to use balanced cables, do it.

Even if you have short cables you must know that if you use 6 cables that are 2 metres you end up with 12 metres of unbalanced cable.

If it will be balanced or not depend on the gear you hook up the cable to.
It's no use to put a three wire cable to an unbalanced input or output. ( I think you know that )

Make-em yourself!

I have made a lot of my own cables. Some good and some noisy! Here are a few ideas that have helped me.
1. Use high quality cable (Belden etc.)
2. Use high quality connectors (Switchcraft etc.)
3. Take your time to cut/strip wire carefully
4. Solder each connection and test with an ohmmeter
5. *Cover each connection with clear hot glue, this acts as a strain relief and extra insulation. It even reduces noise somehow!** Try it!
6. Test cable under actual conditions before labeling it as "GOOD"

Dom Franco

I have made my own cables and the hassle and time involved just aint worth it I think, so now I buy em. Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Make-em yourself!

Dom Franco said:
I have made a lot of my own cables. Some good and some noisy! Here are a few ideas that have helped me.
5. *Cover each connection with clear hot glue, this acts as a strain relief and extra insulation. It even reduces noise somehow!** Try it!

Dom Franco

Thanks but what's this 'clear hot glue' ????

... adding to my questions

what's the difference between speakers and instrument cables ? can i use instrument cables to connect r my speakers ?

Hot Glue gun

A hot glue gun uses glue sticks about 3/8" in Dia.
You can get glue sticks for wood, and repair etc. or clear silicone. I have purchased some high end pro cable that had this on the connections. it really works well.

A good electrical connection is needed, and then the hot glue (When it dries) encapsulates the wires, with insulation and holds them firmly in place. *Most cables fail due to wires being pulled and bent at the connections.

Speaker wire is an unshielded pair (Like a lampcord)
Audio cable is shielded (A braided wire on the outside and a single or multi-conductor lead inside)

Dom Franco

Back